Andhra Pradesh students in Hyderabad study circles worried

Seemandhra students are not getting scholarships since February 2014

Hyderabad: Seemandhra students attending UPSC Civils and APPSC Group-I coaching classes at AP Study Circles and BC Study Circles in the city are in a fix with the Telangana government stopping payment of scholarships to these students.

Though these study circles are listed under Schedule 10 of the AP Re-organisation Act, to offer common services for both the states, Telangana has taken an in-principle decision to grant scholarships only to Telangana students based on their nativity. There is no clarity on whether the AP government will pay the fees of the Seemandhra students.

These study circles offer free coaching in residential mode to students from socially and economically weaker sections to help them crack Civils and other recruitment exams. Students from backward classes, Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and minority communities from all districts in United AP had been selected to these circles and are currently undergoing coaching.

In the recent meeting held at the Secretariat, Telangana chief secretary Dr Rajiv Sharma asked officials to replace AP with Telangana with regard to names of study circles. He also conveyed the state’s decision to pay scholarships for only T-students, and that the AP government should take care of Seemandhra students.

“I am from Anantapur and am undergoing training for Civils in AP Study Circle. Seemandhra students are not getting scholarships since February 2014. We request the AP government to take a decision soon. We cannot afford private coaching. We will be left with no option but to leave for our native places if scholarships are not paid,” said B. Raghavendra, a student.

Officials said they are waiting for clarity from the AP government over payment of scholarships.