Students prefer medical colleges in own state

Students show lesser interest in medical courses in the other state

Hyderabad: After bifurcation of the state, more students seem to prefer to study in their own region. Officials said students, from the two states participating in the common counselling, have shown lesser interest in pursuing post graduate medical courses in the other state than in previous years. This year witnessed a change in trend with general medicine getting priority over the lucrative radiology.

Counselling for PG medical seats in the two states started on Wednesday at the NTR University of Health Sciences, Vijayawada. This is the first major counselling session for higher education in both states after bifurcation. A committee has been formed by the Telangana director of medical education Dr P. Srinivas to address problems faced by Telangana students.

“The first day went off smoothly,” Dr Srinivas said. He said that more students this year preferred to study in their own regions rather than in medical colleges across the border. About 85 per cent seats are reserved for locals in medical colleges in Telangana, Andhra and Rayalaseema. The remaining 15 per cent is open to students from the other two regions to compete with locals for the seats.

“The number of outside candidates choosing seats in the unreserved category has dipped significantly in comparison to previous years. Only locals are opting for seats in the 15 per cent unreserved category,” Dr Srinivas said. Although officials call it an individual choice, many students preferred to remain in their own state. Students, generally, prefer government colleges over private ones.

Dr Nilesh Ranjan, who participated in the counselling on the first day, said, “Students are apprehensive about opting for seats in the other state. If there is any sort of bias, it will be a problem.”
A topper and Osmania Medical College student B. Sreeram Reddy opted for general medicine like many other toppers. This year, toppers up to the 20th rank preferred general medicine as against toppers who selected radiology last year. General medicine is a speciality where there is direct contact with patients.