Saree or Churidar for teachers?

Government makes it clear that there is no specific dress code for women teachers

Kochi: Divya K Thomas from Kelakam in Kannur has made it easier for women teachers in the state.

Divya lodged a complaint in the ‘Sutharya Keralam’, the public grievance redressal cell initiative of the Chief Minister Oommen Chandy regarding the dress code for women teachers.

The government had issued a circular on February 4, 2008 permitting women teachers and trainees to wear churidar-kurta when they are on duty, but several aided and unaided schools still insisted that the teachers only wear sarees.

Following Divya's complaint the government has now made it clear that there is no specific dress code for women teachers and trainees in schools.

The Director of Public Instruction (DPI) has directed the Deputy Directors of Education, District Education Officers and Principals of District Institutions for Education and Training to make sure that educational institutions strictly comply with the circular of February 4, 2008. Moreover, the higher education department made it clear in a circular issued on May 9 last that college teachers can wear churidars.

Some teachers like Usha Manat who teaches at the Government Higher Secondary School, Manjapra, prefer the saree. She says if teachers wear churidar-kurta it may be difficult to distinguish them from students.

“There is no doubt that the churidar dress is more convenient for women, but I am not prepared to wear it to school,” she said.

Smitha Joseph, who teaches at Holy Ghost HSS, Thottakattukara, Aluva, says whatever teachers wear, they should be neatly dressed, and the clothes should not be “either fashionable or tight.” Her school has not insisted on a particular dress code but all the teachers wear only sarees, she says.

Though she herself prefers wearing a saree, Dr Lijimol Jacob, who teaches in the Journalism Department of MG University, Kottayam, says teachers must have the option to choose their mode of dress so long as it is neat.

Beena who teaches in the Devadar Government Higher Secondary School, Tanur, Malappuram, said that several teachers in her school wear churidar-kurta.

“Churidar is more convenient. Teachers should take care to avoid vulgarity or fashion. There is no problem in distinguishing between teachers and students,” she said.

In the Vidya Prakash Public School in Kozhikode, there is the peculiar practice of teachers wearing overcoats. Says Preetha Venugopal who teachers there: “If teachers wear churidar, they should have a coat over it. This will distinguish between students and teachers in the higher secondary section. In our school for both churidar and saree, there is over coat.”

Assistant Professor in the English Department of Sacred Heart College Rajesh and Rupesh Kumar from the Department of Communication of the same college believe that no dress code is necessary and the comfort of the teachers should be the primary factor. It is not right for anyone to interfere in a personal matter such as this, they said rightly.