Indian Badminton League may be postponed
New Delhi: Indian Badminton League organisers said Thursday they were undecided about holding the second edition this year, amid reports it could be delayed due to a busy international calendar.
The million-dollar franchise-based league, which was hailed a success in its inaugural season last year despite the absence of badminton powerhouse China, is due to return from September 30 until October 15.
But with the world championships scheduled for August in Denmark and the Asian Games in South Korea from September 19 until October 4, the availability of top players is posing a problem for organisers.
The Badminton Association of India (BAI) will make a decision mid-May, with the league likely delayed until the off-season in January and February.
"We are still not sure when to hold the tournament," BAI president Akhilesh Das Gupta told AFP. "We are working on it. It's a very busy schedule this year."
The league, trumpeted as badminton's richest event, ensured a big pay-day for players in its inaugural season last August, besides raising the sport's profile in an otherwise cricket-mad country.
Six teams, owned by business houses and individuals, were represented by players from around the globe, including world number one Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia.
New Delhi is due to host badminton's premier team events, the Thomas Cup for men and the Uber Cup for women, next month.