Joint Entrance Examination students face state bifurcation blues

Students and officials feel that it will be beneficial if separate lists are announced for the two states

The top-20 percentile list for JEE (Advanced) this year is causing anxiety to IIT aspirants in state. There is no clarity whether the Board of Intermediate Education will announce the list for undivided Andhra Pradesh or Telangana and Seemandhra regions separately.

The Appointed Day for Telangana state formation is June 2, while JEE (Main) results are expected in July. By that time, there will be two states.

Students and officials feel that it will be beneficial if separate lists are announced for the two states as it will give greater chances for students to make it to the IITs.

BIE secretary Ram-shankar Naik said they will adopt older method of taking entire AP as a unit unless the government gives specific directions to release the list separately.

“We will send CDs containing marks of all the students to the CBSE. It is up to them to decide. The board has no role in it.”

“If AP is taken as a unit, few students can make it to the top-20 percentile list. The state government must take up the issue with CBSE,” said P. Madhusudhan Reddy, general secretary of AP Govt Lecturers’ Association.