London: England batsman Jonathan Trott will return to action following his shock Ashes withdrawal in a pre-season match for county side Warwickshire on April 1, he confirmed on Thursday.
The 32-year-old right-hander abruptly left England's tour of Australia after the first Ashes Test in Brisbane last November due to a stress-related illness. He has not played cricket since, but is now set to make his comeback in a two-day game against Gloucestershire at the beginning of April.
"Thrilled to confirm I will return for @CricketingBears vs Gloucs on 1st April. Thanks to everyone for such amazing support," he wrote on Twitter. In an article on Warwickshire's official website, Trott said that he had been "overwhelmed" by support since his Ashes withdrawal, but did not indicate whether he was contemplating a return to international cricket.
"I've been overwhelmed with the kind messages of support from players, coaches and fans over the last few months, and I'm really looking forward to joining up with Warwickshire ahead of the new season," he said.
"We've got a strong squad that's capable of challenging for trophies in all competitions, and I'm determined to play a big role and hopefully contribute to more success for the Bears in 2014 and beyond."
Warwickshire's director of cricket, Dougie Brown, said that he could envisage Trott returning to England duty "in the near future." "Everyone at Edgbaston will be thrilled to see Jonathan return to training after the club's pre-season tour of Barbados (in March), and take to the field at Edgbaston in the 2014 season," Brown said.
"Having met recently, he looks in great shape and is certainly hungry to score plenty of runs for Warwickshire. "He's been a crucial member of the England set up for nearly five years and I am certain he will be back as England's number three in the near future."
Trott, who has played in 49 Tests for England, is due to make his return to competitive action on April 13, when Warwickshire open their County Championship campaign against Sussex....