Avoid chocolates and curd while preparing for exam: Experts

Having chocolates reduces concentration, while curd zaps out energy

Having chocolates will reduce the concentration, while a cup of coffee will improve the memory, said Meenakshi Bajaj, Nutritionist, Tamil Nadu Government Multi Super Specialty Hospital, about the diet for the students who prepare for the board examination.

She said, “Having Mediterranean diet, such as nuts, dhal, greens will improve cognitive function, which is an ability to process thoughts, learn new information, memory and alertness.”

“In simple words, keeping the body anemia-free will improve the concentration and food that contains vitamins B and C, protein, iron and folic acid is necessary, she added.”

Meenakshi also said that students should avoid taking curd, lassi and heavy meals to avoid dozing off during the night study.

Dr Kousalya Nathan, lifestyle and anti-ageing consultant of Nova Specialty Hospitals said, “Keeping the body hydrated will keep the mind and body fresh to concentrate on studies.” At least 2.5 litres of water should be taken everyday, she added.

Speaking to Deccan Chronicle, Dr Kousalya said, “Students should take heavy breakfast on the exam day, so that the glucose level will be maintained in the body. Tiffin like Ragi dosa, ragi porridge, idli, vegetable uthappam can be had in the morning, while after the examination, nutrition drink with dates, almond or walnut milk shakes can be had. This would give required nutrients to the body.”

About the diet to be followed during the night study, she said, “Instead of tea, students can take green tea, puffed rice (pori), masala pori, roasted Bengal gram, lemon juice, boiled egg, vegetable salads and sandwiches can be taken.”

However, at least 6 hours of sleep is necessary before the examination day is important, she noted.