Minimum age limit set by Hyderabad schools

L. VENKAT RAM REDDY | DC
Published Feb 27, 2014, 7:42 am IST
Updated Mar 19, 2019, 10:03 am IST
Schools have decided to adopt the minimum age limit of two-and-a-half-years for nursery and three and a half years for LKG

Hyderabad: Hyderabad schools will adopt a uniform minimum age limit for nursery and LKG admissions from this year.
This will now be applicable to ICSE, CBSE and state Board schools.
While some schools have been admitting students aged two years in nursery, others are giving admissions to three-year-olds. With this, by the time they reach Class I, it leads to an age difference among students in the same class.
Teachers too are facing difficulties in taking classes due to variation in the kids’ listening and learning skills in UKG and Class-I due to variation in age as some students are good with alphabets, rhymes, numbers etc. while others can’t even talk properly.
City schools have thus decided to adopt the minimum age limit of two-and-a-half-years for nursery and three-and-a-half-years for LKG. Schools are planning to continue students in nursery this year even after completion of the academic year if they fail to meet the cut off age for LKG.
“We came to a consensus on adopting a uniform minimum age limit for Nursery and LKG admissions from this year. We discussed the issue and decided to bring uniformity in the admission age to avoid problems in future. The appropriate age for entering LKG is three-and- a-half-years by June of the new academic year as the child is ready to optimally take on the prescribed syllabus,” said Chhalamayi Reddy, principal, Sri Aurobindo International School. She is also the executive committee member of CISCE Board, which offers ICSE and ISC.
“Most CBSE schools are already adopting two-and-a -half-years for nursery and three-and-a-half-years for LKG. Though some schools offer LKG admissions for three years, they too have decided to bring uniformity now,” said D. Usha Reddy, principal, Meridian School, who is also the chairperson of Hyderabad Sahodaya Schools Complex, a conglomeration of CBSE schools in the city.
Interestingly, there are no specific guidelines either from CBSE or ICSE over minimum age limit for pre-school admissions though they stipulate that students should be 14-plus for admission in Class-X and 16-plus in Class XII.
Schools can ensure the compliance of this norm only by ensuring that students attain the age of three-and-a-half-years in LKG and four-and-a-half-years in UKG.
The state Board too has no specific norms with regard to pre-school admissions. However, students should be five-and-a-half-years to enter into Class I.
“All state Board schools follow the five-and-a-half-year norm for Class I. This will ensure that they don’t face any problems to appear for SSC and Inter exams besides gaining eligibility for MBBS admission after 10+2 since the MCI stipulates that students should complete 17 years for admission,” said S. Sreenivas Reddy, president, AP Recognised Private Schools Managements Association.

...
Location: Andhra Pradesh