Celebrate with a special song

People are inviting musicians to their homes to perform for special occasions like birthdays and anniversaries.
You have seen it in the movies and now you can experience it in real life. Wondering what we are talking about? Many Bengalureans have now started calling upon musicians and bands to come perform a little something to make their special moments extra special.
Anshu Tandon, an MBA student, wanted to do something different for her mother’s 50th birthday. “I ran out of ideas and since it was a milestone birthday, I had to come up with a creative idea.
I made a few calls and the end result was brilliant. Three musicians landed on our doorstep at 8 am and when my mom opened the door, they sang! The first song was of course Happy Birthday but they followed it up with some of her all time favourite numbers. My mom’s expression was priceless and totally worth it,” she recalls.
Arwen Magma, the music coordinator for Sonido Musicals confirms the rise in the number of people opting for this innovative way of showing they care. “This trend is hugely popular in European countries and is slowly picking up in the city as well. Last year on New Year ‘s Eve I went to this couple’s house to perform. The husband had called me to sing for his wife’s birthday. It was amazing to see the wife emotions when she got to know her husband had done this for her birthday. It was almost as though she fell in love with him all over again,” Arwen fondly recalls.
Most of the musicians who go to people’s homes for these heartwarming performances are college students and from the looks of it, they have found themselves a nice way to earn a little pocket money as well. “We usually get about '5,000. But it isn’t just the money, I feel honoured to be a part of someone’s special day,” says Amogh Matt, an engineering student from Pesit College who has done two such performances.
By the way, Happy Birthday To You isn’t the only thing that these youngsters croon. “We do a few covers and requests as well. Usually another musician called Rishi accompanies me,” says Rohit KR, another musician. He further enumerates that he prefers entertaining his audience in this manner than by giving stage performance. “This is more personal and we can play exactly what they want. It’s special,” smiles the animation student who is also the lead vocalist for his thrash metal band, Deaf.