Unruly students drive crew to halt bus near CoP office

Irked by the unruly behaviour of a few college students on an MTC bus, the driver stopped.

Chennai: Irked by the unruly behaviour of a few college students on an MTC bus, the driver stopped the vehicle at the Vepery junction near the police commissioner’s office on Monday, leaving the passengers mystified.

According to eyewitnesses, the MTC bus (route No. 15G) was moving on the Poonamallee high road when the driver suddenly halted and entered into a heated argument with a group of students travelling on the bus.

“The students were singing songs and passing comments, much to the ire of the conductor, who picked up an argument with the students. As the arguments became heated, the dr­iver halted the bus and joined the conductor,” an eyewitness said.

The driver and conductor soon walked away, saying that they were going to lodge a complaint at the police commissioner’s office. The students immediately fled the scene, after which the driver re-started the bus. Officials in the city commissioner’s office said no complaint was received from the bus crew against the students.

Next: Buses turn into battle zone, entertainment hub

Buses turn into battle zone, entertainment hub

Jackson Jose | DC

Chennai: MTC buses of late have become a battle zone for warring college student gangs, a place to create ruckus and have noisy entertainment – often not paying heed to the plight of other passengers or the advice of the bus crew. Interestingly, school students also se­em to be going the same way, according to recent incidents.

MTC union president N. Raju says, “In the past months, we feel it is more of school students ind­ulging the indecent behaviour and creating problem en route.”
He adds, “Every other day, we have such incidents of unruly behaviour from students. Most of the times, when a case is registered with the police, we do not pr­ogress further thinking of the future of the kid.”

Rohan Rinaldo, a college student, says, “ Oft­en unnecessary comments are passed by the students about women passengers and they exh­ibit gang mentality.”

Some routes in the city have earned a bad name for being the most prone to problem created by students including bus route No. 2A (Anna Sq­uar­e-Kannadasan nag­ar), 29A (Perambur-An­na Square) and 7G (Br­oadway-Kannadasan nagar).

Porkodi Amudhan, a college student, says, “It is problem we have been facing for long. Often remarks and comments are passed when we travel. We are fine until they make noise but sometimes they pass lewd comments or tease.”

A month back a schoolboy assaulted an MTC bus driver after he was asked not to travel on the footboard following whi­ch drivers and conductors protested.

Top MTC officials say, “Such incidents happen, but we have asked our crew to keep cool and maintain good relations with the students.”

On the incident on Mo­nday, officials say that they have conveyed the matter to the police and th­at the matter is being fo­l­lowed by MTC officials.