IIIT Nuzvid gets bigger, better

State to give 113 acres for expansion of campus, UGC funds likely.

Vijayawada: With the state government agreeing to sanction 113 acres land for its extension, good days are ahead for the IIIT campus at Nuzvid. The government has ordered the Krishna district officials to start the land acquisition process.

The development of the IIIT campus will be helpful to students of Seemandhra in the future, especially as the bifurcation of the state seems increasingly inevitable.

As many as 10,000 students, of whom 85 per cent are from the rural areas, study in the IIIT campus at Nuzvid, run by the Rajiv Gandhi University of Knowledge Technologies, since it was started in 2008.

The shortage of land had effectively put paid to the efforts of the authorities to provide basic amenities for the students. The campus at present does not have any seminar hall, auditorium, library hall, meeting hall, administrative block and other essential facilities.

Students and the faculty have been demanding these facilities right from the time of the IIIT’s inception. Ibrahim Khan, director of the campus, said that proposals had been sent seeking land for expansion of the campus in 2010. Following this, the government had asked for clarifications about the availability of lands in 2011. Since then, the proposal had been pending.

Recently, the RGUKT had once again brought the expansion of the campus to the notice the government, following which the government issued orders for land acquisition.

Dr Khan said that students were excelling in studies, and last year, 12 girl students of the campus were selected for NASA’s international space development conference where they presented their projects.

A third year B. Tech student, A. Manikumar also secured internship in Amazon R&D, Bangalore by winning the TWITMINER contest in the area of Natural Langauge Processing (NLP).

“Manikumar got the first rank in the contest by edging out other contestants, mostly research scholars in IITs and other reputed universities,” Dr Khan said.

Dr Khan hoped that with the expansion of the campus and basic facilities in place, students will display good academic results and shine in all spheres.