Many miss perfect score by a whisker

Only eight students in the country managed to secure a 100 percentile in CAT 2013.

The CAT 2013 results were declared on Tuesday morning. Only eight students in the country managed to secure a 100 percentile. None of the students from the city managed to secure a perfect cent per cent. Darshana Ramdev and Shrinivasa M. reports.

AT 2013 results, announced Tuesday morning, may have been disappointing with none of the students able to secure a cent percentile, but those with percentiles of 97 and above were smiling as they began to get calls from IIM, Ahmedabad and IIM, Indore.

While the IIM, Bangalore, will take a couple of days to release its shortlist, IIM, Ahmedabad, IIM, Lucknow and IIM, Kozhikode have already released theirs.

“I think it will take another day or two because the results are just out. There is a process involved, and so it will take time,” said Kavitha Kumar, head, communications, IIM, Bangalore, adding that the institute had no plans at the moment to increase its seats as this was done only last year.

Besides the prestigious Indian Institutes of Management over 120 B-schools across the country have announced they will accept CAT scores this year. In demand are the Faculty of Management Studies in Delhi, Department of Management Studies, IIT, Roorkee and the Delhi School of Economics.

“All the IIMs have different admission processes, but the cut-off for the top institutes is usually 96 percentile and above. Calls have already started coming in for those with percentiles of 99 and above,” said Thomas George, director, Trium­phant Institute of Management.

While noting that the exam and the announcement of results went off without a hitch this year, he says its too early to spot trends just yet. “These will only become evident once the second round of training begins," he added.

Ajay Arora, Director, Vistamind, another prestigious coaching centre of the city, says while the results may not have been very good, the students are now focusing on the schools they are eligible for rather than on their actual scores.

"If the paper is easy the score after the normalisation process does tend to be lower.There were a few students who were disappointed with their results, " he admitted.

Meanwhile, the around 600 odd students from Bangalore who are eligible for the second round, can begin training for it from Sunday, January 17.

Break in tradition, no glitches

The declaration of results, which began at 9 am on Tuesday, went off without a glitch. This was especially welcome, for last year, although results were declared at midnight, hundreds of students were unable to access their results for over 15 hours.

This year, IIM turned to the government-run National Informatics Centre to handle the technical process.

CAT Convenor Rohit Kapoor, of IIM Kozhikode, said the results were ready by midnight, but were declared only in the morning as NIC officials were not ready to work through the night.

This was the first time in five years that IIM broke away from the tradition of releasing results at midnight sharp. Each year, when results are declared, the sheer number of people accessing the site usually led to the server crashing. More likely than not, NIC and IIM-Indore officials would have had to stay up all night.

Although students had difficulty getting to their results at first, this was sorted out within the next half an hour. By 9.30 am, all candidates had access to their scores.

“There were a lot of glitches last year, but IIM seems to have ironed all of them out,” said Ajay Arora, Director, Vistamind.