Solar insect-trap bags state prize

The solar insect-trap was designed by students of the Zilla Parishad High School.

Karimnagar: The solar insect-trap designed by students of the Zilla Parishad High School (ZPHS) in Gouravelli in Husnabad mandal bagged the first prize at the state-level science, environmental and mathematical fair held at Vijayawada from January 4-7.

T. Ravinder Reddy, the teacher who guided the students in designing the trap, said the exhibit was also chosen for the nation-level competitions.

Ch. Venkata Sai and M. Harikrishan of Gouravelli ZPHS created the insect trap which works using solar energy.

The model was adjudged as the best exhibit at the district-level fair held recently at SPR High School at Nagunoor near Karimangar on December 31 last year.

Vijayawada DEO?Devananda Reddy handed over the prize to the duo and appreciated Ravinder Reddy for his assistance in creating the model

Staff members of the ZPHS expressed happiness over being chosen for the national-level contest.

A light fitted to the instrument automatically gets illuminated at 6 pm, everyday, with the help of solar energy trapped by the panels fixed to it once the sun sets.

The light remains glowing till 12 in the midnight to trap harmful bugs, which fall in a bowl filled with a detergent or diluted kerosene. The trap is affordable and at the same time user-friendly.