AP boy dies in IIT-Kanpur

The body of the 20 year old boy was found next to the railway tracks near the IIT-K campus.

Lucknow / Prakasam: Mystery shrouds the death of a student of IIT-Kanpur, whose body was found next to the railway tracks near the campus.

The local police claimed that the body of G. Sai Kumar Reddy, 20, a resident of Aardhaveedu mandal in Prakasam district of AP, was found along the Kanpur-Farukkhabad railway line on Wednesday morning.

The police initially claimed that the student had committed suicide, but the post-mortem report on Thursday said the body was hit by a heavy object, possibly a train.

Student welfare Dean, IIT-Kanpur, Prof. A.K. Ghosh said Sai Kumar was a second-year B.Tech student, pursuing material science and metallurgical engineering. He ruled out the possibility of depression and suicide by the student.

IIT-Kanpur has formed a four-member committee to probe the incident.

Incidentally, Sai Kumar called his father G. Srinivasa Reddy on December 31 and told him that he would not be coming home for the holidays. He also spoke to his mother Rajya Lakshmi that day.

According to the police, Sai Kumar had gone out for dinner on New Year’s eve. His father believes that he might have been hit by a speeding train while crossing the railway track.

Sai Kumar’s father came to know of the accident only when he tried to call his son on January 1.

On getting to know of Sai’s death, Reddy contacted Prakasam SP Promod Kumar, who arranged for him to go to Kanpur to bring back Sai’s body.