Related Stories

Crime file: Youth rapes girl, uploads nude pictures on social media; pregnant minor girl raped by relative dies and more

Published Jan 3, 2014, 11:59 pm IST
Updated Mar 19, 2019, 4:30 am IST
Crime file: 15-yr-old was raped repeatedly by relative; Manipuri youth sedates woman, rapes her, posts pictures and more.

Pregnant minor girl raped by relative dies 

Thane: A 15-year-old tribal girl, who became pregnant after allegedly being raped by a relative, died on way to hospital in Vikramgadh area of the district, police said on Friday. 


The girl, a resident of Naval Pada hamlet in Vikramgadh town, complained of severe pain in abdomen on Wednesday night following which her family admitted her to a local public health care centre, Vikramgadh assistant police inspector R.B. Mhamunkar said.

It was only after the girl experienced pain and confided in her grandmother about her condition that the family came to know that she had been raped by the relative. As her condition deteriorated, the girl was rushed to Wada rural hospital, but she died on way near Pali village in the wee hours on Thursday. 


According to a complaint lodged by the victim's father late last night, his nephew - Santosh S Dapchi (26) - repeatedly raped his daughter at their home when she was alone after he used to go for work to Uttan in Bhayander. 

Based on the complaint, Vikramgadh police have registered an offence under section 376 (rape) of the IPC and relevant sections of Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act, 2012. No arrest has been made so far in this connection, police said, adding that they are likely to apprehend the accused today. The body has been sent for postmortem and further investigation was on. 


Next: Youth rapes girl, uploads nude pictures on social media 

Youth rapes girl, uploads nude pictures on social media

Imphal: A youth allegedly sedated his woman friend, raped her and took her nude pictures which he uploaded on a social networking site, police said on Friday.

Allam Rajak Makakmayum raped the Mainipuri girl, with whom he had a year-long friendship, after making her unconscious in a lodge at Tura in Meghalaya in September 2012, police said, quoting the complainant.

Read here: US man arrested for stealing brains, selling them on eBay


Promising to marry her later, Allam left for Pune where he was a post-graduate student, they said.

The victim, a college student in Tura, returned home on a vacation in Thoubal district of Manipur and found her nude pictures in a social networking site on December 20 last year, they said. Police is looking for the offender who also hails from Manipur.

Next: 37-yr-old teacher held for marrying 14-year-old girl

37-yr-old teacher held for marrying 14-year-old girl

Dharmapuri (TN): A 37-year-old school teacher was on Friday arrested here on the charge of marrying a minor girl, police said.


Police said N. Arumugam of Mulluvadi, 32 km from here, was already married and had married the 14-year-old girl, a relative's grand-daughter at Arakkasanahalli, his native village, in November last.

He used to conduct private tuition for the girl, studying in the tenth standard, and reportedly expressed his desire to marry the girl to his relative, a 60-year-old woman, police said.

Police registered a case under provisions of the Prohibition of Child Marriage Act, 2006 and arrested Arumugam who has been lodged in the Salem central jail after being produced before the Judicial Magistrate Court and remanded in judicial custody.


The 60-year-old woman is absconding. The minor girl, who was also produced in the court, has been lodged in a government home, police said.

Next: Man arrested for allegedly raping daughter

Man arrested for allegedly raping daughter

Vadodara: A farm worker was arrested at a village in Morva tehsil of neighbouring Panchmahal district on Thursday for raping his minor daughter.

Morva police said the man (name not disclosed) raped his 14-year-old daughter sometime ago when nobody else was at home, and warned her against disclosing the incident.

But the girl told the mother about the crime when latter returned. The woman took her to police station and lodged a complaint.


Next: South African woman held with Rs 7.50 crore drug at Mumbai airport

South African woman held with Rs 7.50 crore drug at Mumbai airport

Mumbai: A South African woman was on Friday arrested from Mumbai international airport for allegedly trying to smuggle out 15 kg of Methaqualone worth Rs 7.50 crore to Zimbabwe, a senior Customs official said.

Acting on a tip-off, the 23-year-old South African woman, an MBA graduate, was intercepted at the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport at about 3 AM after her body language was found to be suspicious, the officer told PTI.


"A sniffer dog also indicated presence of drugs in her luggage," the officer said but refused to divulge her identify saying that revelation of her name would adversely affect the investigation which was at a crucial stage.

Upon checking her luggage, the contraband of white crystalline drug weighing 15 kg was found concealed meticulously in a packet, the official said.

The accused, who was to take a Kenya Airways flight to Nairobi from where she was supposed to fly to her final destination to Harare in Zimbabwe, was booked under relevant sections of the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, the official said.


She arrived here on an Air India flight from Delhi last night after hoodwinking the security officials at the domestic airport at the national capital, the official said. 

Next: Third teen charged with assault on Indian student in Australia

Third teen charged with assault on Indian student in Australia

Melbourne: A third Australian teenager was on Friday charged with brutally attacking and robbing a 20-year-old Indian student here who suffered serious head injuries in the incident.

A 17-year-old boy was charged with intentionally causing serious injury, assault in company and robbery for the attack on Manrajwinder Singh on Sunday in Birrarung Marr. He faced a children's court and was remanded in custody to reappear on Tuesday, Victoria Police said in a statement.


Earlier, two teenagers - a 17-year-old Sydenham boy and a 16 year-old St Albans boy - were charged with assaulting Singh, who remains in an induced coma in a hospital here after being bashed up by eight thugs.

Singh, in Australia to study accounts, was bashed up by thugs in Birrarung Marr near Princes Bridge, as he and two other friends waited for a train. He suffered serious head injuries in the incident. The offenders, perceived to be of African appearance, assaulted Singh by kicking him on the head and hitting him with a stick.

The third arrest in the case, a 15-year-old Ascot Vale boy has been released and is expected to be charged on summons. A search is on for four others believed to be involved in the incident. The police have appealed to the public for any information to contact them.


Earlier in the day, the 16 year-old St Albans boy was granted conditional bail after the court was told that the boy was assisting the police in the case. He was granted bail on the conditions he would not associate with co-accused and abide by a nightly curfew at home with his parents, who were in court, The Age reported.

On Thursday, the 17-year-old Sydenham boy, said to be part of a gang which targeted people of Indian appearance, was denied bail on the grounds that he would be a danger to the public if released.

The court was told the 17-year-old is a member of a gang of youths known as 'KYR' - an acronym for 'Kill Your Rivals' - who terrorise vulnerable people and Indians. 


Next: Woman, son acquitted of forcing minor girl into prostitution

Woman, son acquitted of forcing minor girl into prostitution 

New Delhi: A woman, who along with her son was accused of forcing her minor niece into prostitution and living on earnings from flesh trade, has been acquitted by a court here as the Delhi Police failed to produce the victim before it.

Additional Sessions Judge Sanjeev Kumar also acquitted the woman, who was the maternal aunt of the girl, and her son of the charges of abetting the rape of her niece and abated the proceedings against the victim's father, an accused in the case, as he died during the pendency of the trial.


"The prosecution despite being given a number of opportunities has failed to produce the girl, who was the only eyewitness of her rape, illegal confinement and forced prostitution. "In the absence of her testimony, it would not be safe to convict the accused," the court said, adding that in the absence of the girl, the statements of other witnesses become 'useless'.

According to the prosecution, the woman and her son had pushed the 15-year-old girl into prostitution and they were living on the earning from the flesh trade. Police said when the girl escaped from the clutches of the accused in June 2010 and went to the house of a neighbour, they tried to forcibly take her away and also beat her up.


Police had got information in June 2010 that a girl has been kidnapped and she was found present in a house in Rohini here. During investigation, the girl told the police that her maternal aunt and her son had brought her to Delhi after giving some money to her father for his treatment.

The mother-son duo, however, forced her into prostitution and when she objected, all of them including her father used to threaten her, the girl had said. Later on, when the girl found an opportunity, she ran away and took shelter in a neighbour's house from where the police had rescued her.


The police, however, failed to produce the girl before the court for her deposition during the trial.

While acquitting the accused, the judge said, "I held that prosecution has miserably failed to prove that accused persons had forced the girl to enter into prostitution and earned their livelihood from the income earned from the prostitution. "I acquit both the accused persons under provisions of the IPC and the Immoral Trafficking (Prevention) Act." 

Next: Three brothers kill four family members over land dispute

Three brothers kill four family members over land dispute


Bareilly (UP): Three brothers have allegedly killed four members of a family, including their father, over a land dispute in Kesarpur village in Bhuta area here, police said on Friday.

The incident took place yesterday when the three accused sons entered the house Kanturi Pal (75), father, and shot him, his son Reetram (29), daughter-in-law Seema (29) and one-year-old grand son Lucky over the dipute of 42 bigha of land. All the three died on the spot.

The accused have been identified as Pappu, Arjun and Ramchandra - all sons of Kanturi. The three also tried to kill their brother Nareshpal (45) but he was somehow saved by the villagers. He, however, sustained injuries in the incident.


The accused were envious with their brothers Reetram and Nareshpal as their father Kanturi (who had five sons) used to stay with the victims and had intentions to give his property to them. The police has launched a manhunt to nab the assailants, who managed to fled from the scene after the incident. 

Next: 2 held at Chennai airport for smuggling Rs 20 lakh gold bar

2 held at Chennai airport for smuggling Rs 20 lakh gold bar 

Chennai: Two persons were arrested at the airport here for allegedly smuggling an half-kilogram gold bar valued at around Rs 20 lakh.


Air Intelligence Unit of Customs held Niranjan Shah and Sivakumar on their arrival from Hong Kong, officials said, adding that they were found carrying the precious metal in a suitcase handle. 

Next: 10-year-old Bangalore girl killed by stepfather for spilling coconut oil

10-year-old Bangalore girl killed by stepfather for spilling coconut oil

BangaloreA 10-year-old girl was allegedly murdered by her stepfather in Hennur police station limits on Wednesday evening.

The accused Aslam Pasha (45), an autorickshaw driver, on Wednesday evening kicked his step daughter after she spilled coconut oil on the floor while oiling her hair.


The police have identified the deceased as Noorain Taj, daughter of Saleem Pasha and Usna Sultan. After divorcing Saleem Pasha, Usna married Aslam Pasha three years ago.

Usna was staying with Aslam in Nanda Gokula Layout in Thanisandra.

For the last six months, Usna’s daughters Muskan Taj, Nidha Taj and Noorain Taj born from her first husband were staying with their mother.

Usna’s son  Syed Abddul Suban, born from her second husband, was also staying with them. In addition, Aslam’s two children from his first wife Mohammed Tasina, Thaheba and Misbha, were also staying with them, the police said.


On Wednesday morning, Usna, a garment factory employee, left home for work. Aslam too had gone for work but returned home early. Noorain, who was at home, was beaten up after she spilled oil.

It is suspected that Aslam was frustrated staying with his step daughters and had beaten her out of anger.

Next: 14-yr-old girl gang raped on New Year’s eve in Karnataka

14-yr-old girl gang raped on New Year’s eve

Hubli (Karnataka): A fourteen-year old girl was gang raped by group of three persons near Haveri on New Year’s Eve. The victim has been admitted to Karnataka Institute of Medical Sciences (KIMS) in Hubli.


Her parents alleged that the culprits had threatened them against reporting the matter to police. They also added that the local police had refused to lodge complaint and offered to settle the case through negotiations.

Initially the rapists tried to take the girl from her native hamlet of Budarasingi in Hubli taluk on Tuesday by telling her that her father has met with an accident near Haveri.

When she refused to go with them, they kidnapped her and fled in a vehicle.

The incident came to light on Wednesday night, when the girl returned home after suffering serious injuries.


The parents alleged that the supporters of Kundagol legislator C.S. Shivalli offered Rs 50,000 to hush up the rape case and also threatened with dire consequences.

“All the three persons took me near Haveri and tied my hands and legs before commiting rape. They also stuffed clothes into my mouth,” the girl said.

Her father Siddaramappa said that he had to appro ach the Superintendant of Police, when Kundagol police refused to lodge a complaint and suggested to settle the case through negotiation.

Next: 29-year-old woman raped in AP forest

29-year-old woman raped in AP forest


Palamaner (Andhra Pradesh): A 29-year-old woman was raped at Buthalabanda forest area near Palamaner on Thursday.

According to SHO Aswath Narayana of Palamaner, Sandhya, 29, hailing from Thotakanam village of V. Kota mandal had come to Palamaner in the early hours of Thursday.

She was lured by some unidentified youth, who took her to  Buthalabanda forest and made her consume alcohol. In an inebriated condition, the men raped her and left her on the spot.

A few hours later, she was noticed by shepherds who were passing by and informed the Palamaner police.


Palamaner police led by SHO Aswath Narayana reached the spot and found the woman lying unconscious. She was shifted to the government hospital for tests.

The police who gained a few inputs after speaking to the victim have registered a case and are on the look out for the culprits behind the heinous act.

The woman is a widow with her husband Subramanyam passing away a few years back and does not have any children, according to Palamaner Police.

With the lady still unconscious and under the impact of alcohol, the police are yet to ascertain how many persons were involved in the crime, according to Palamaner SHO Aswath Narayana.


Next: Locals ransack school after student’s death

Locals ransack school after student’s death

HyderabadA seven-year-old girl died at her school under suspicious circumstances in Bhoothpur mandal of Mahbubnagar district on Thursday triggering tension in the area.

Alleging that the girl had died after she was made to stand outside her class by her teacher for not paying her fees, locals and parents ransacked the school.

The incident occurred at Panchavathy Vidyalaya on Thursday morning. Tension mounted when members of different student organisations entered the school office and damaged the computers and furniture.


The victim, L. Sahithi, a Class III student, had fainted in the school at around 9.30 after which she was taken to the hospital, where she died.

Contrary to the allegations of protesters, Mahbubnagar police said the victim was inside the classroom when she fainted. “As per our initial inquiry, the girl fainted inside the classroom.

We verified the allegations and found them to be untrue,” said Mahbub-nagar sub-division trainee DSP Poojitha.

“As per the victim’s mother, the girl had been suffering from fits. We are investigating if that caused her death,” she added.


Police said Sahithi had felt giddy in the class and had vomited. The school authorities informed her parents and took her to the hospital. She succumbed in her parents’ presence.

However, local leaders of students’ organisations alleged that Sahithi had been made to stand outside since she had not paid the fees. She had fainted on the ground, after which she was taken inside the classroom.

Mahbubnagar police officials said that the real cause of death would be revealed after the post mortem. “We have booked a case for suspicious death,” said a senior official.


Responding to the issue, school correspondent Srikanth Reddy said the allegations were false. “The girl was inside the class when she felt uneasy. No teacher had ousted her from class. In fact, she was writing her exam,” he said.

Mahbubnagar district education officer Y. Chandramohan said a show-cause notice has been issued to the school.


Next: Speeding school bus kills 13-yr-old

Speeding school bus kills 13-yr-old

BangaloreA boy was killed when he was knocked down by an allegedly overspeeding school bus in Vijaynagar on Thursday morning.


13-year-old Sumukh Magoli, a resident of Vijaynagar, died on the spot when a school bus rammed into the two-wheeler, he was riding, from behind and ran over him.

Police said the bus belonged to Cambridge School and was ferrying children to the school at the time. Sumukh was an eighth standard student at Sardar Vallabhai Patel School.

The incident is said to have occurred in front of RBI quarters in RPC layout around 8.10am, when Sumukh was returning from a restaurant near his house with a parcel containing breakfast.

The boy reportedly overtook the school bus, but was blocked by an oncoming auto from the opposite side.


The bus driver then allegedly knocked down the boy from behind, and the rear wheels of the bus are said to have run over him, killing him instantly. The boy’s body was sent to Victoria Hospital for the post-mortem.

The driver was arrested and has been identified as Mohan Kumar (33). None of the children on the bus were hurt in the accident. A case has been registered by the Vijaynagar traffic police.

Next: 3 Assamese held in Chennai for using fake notes

3 Assamese held in Chennai for using fake notes

ChennaiThe police held on Wednesday night three youth who are suspected to have circulated counterfeit currency in the city near Royapuram.


The trio, hailing from Assam, was picked up by the police after information from a shop-owner: they had tried to buy stuff from his shop using the fake currency.

A patrol team picked them up on Balakrishnan road and following interrogation, found and recovered four fake Rs 1,000 notes and Rs 32,000 genuine currency from them.

We suspect them to have obtained the genuine currency by exchanging fake notes, police sources said.

Their modus operandi involved obtaining genuine currency by exchanging counterfeit notes.

“They would buy small stuff from shops, pay fake Rs 1,000 notes and get genuine notes from the shop in exchange,” said a police officer, adding that unassuming shopkeepers fell for this ruse.


The arrested were identified as Hamid Rahman, 19, Rafiqul Islam, 19, and Fazil Islam, 21.

The police officials suspect more persons to be involved in this counterfeit cheating and are probing if they are part of a network.

The fishing harbour police station personnel have registered a case and are investigating further. The accused were remanded in custody.

Next: Acid attack bid on girl in Chennai

Acid attack bid on girl in Chennai

Chennai: A 23-year-old girl had a narrow escape and suffered minor burn injuries after an unidentified man threw acid on her, breaking the glass panes of the window of her home near Taramani on Thursday morning. The girl was sleeping in her room when the incident happened.


The girl works at a private firm in Sholinganallur and is a resident of Thanthai Periyar nagar, near Taramani. She suffered minor burn injuries below her eye as two drops of acid spilled on her cheek, police sources said.

The girl was taken to a private hospital and later referred to the Kilpauk medical college (KMC) hospital. She returned home in the evening after getting treatment.

Police sources said a case was not registered as she didn’t want to pursue the case. We suspect that someone known to the girl must have thrown the acid at her, the police surmise.


Next: YSRC sarpanch held for smuggling

YSRC sarpanch held for smuggling

ChittoorEarly on Thursday morning, the Task Force officials took P. Reddappa Reddy, the YSRC sarpanch of Cherukuvari Palle, and two others into custody for their alleged red sanders smuggling links.

According to Chittoor SP P.H.D. Ramakrishna, the sarpanch was arrested by a joint team of Chittoor police and Task Force officials.

The Chittoor SP, who has been cracking down on the red sanders smuggling operations, shifted Yerravaripalem SI Venkateswarulu to VR (vacancy reserve) for inaction over Rs 2 crore-worth red sanders seized a few days ago.


Vacancy Reserves means that the officials has not been assigned any duty. More action seems to be in store with the SP likely to recommend disciplinary action on the concerned officials.

Despite the sarpanch and others allegedly being connected to the smuggling, the SI had apparently not acted in the last 15 odd days.

It is learnt that the name of the Cherukuv-aripalle sarpanch features prominently in the list of RS smugglers and he has been arrested five times earlier, and jailed thrice in connection with smuggling.

The arrested have been shifted to Tirupati for further questioning.


Meanwhile, the sarpanch’s arrest sent shock waves across the district, coming as a serious embarrassment for the leaders and cadres of the YSRC, which is already trying to ward off the corruption tag.

YSRC cadres of Yerravaripalem mandal resorted to a dharna in front of the Yerravari-palem police station, terming the arrest as politically motivated.

Next: NIT student tries to end life over scores

NIT student tries to end life over scores

Warangal: Reportedly depressed over poor score in her first semester exam, Nitya Rajendran, a first year B. Tech Computer Science student of National Institute of Technology (NIT) Warangal attempted suicide by consuming large quantities of medicine on the campus Wednesday night.


It came to light on Thursday when the girl was shifted to MGM hospital for treatment as the NIT authorities tried to keep the incident under wraps.

Said to be a resident of Hyderabad, sources said that Ms Nitya Rajendran resorted to the extreme step by consuming large quantity of tablets meant to cure fever and other ailments at one go.

At the time of the incident, she was alleged to have been under depression over scoring less than expected marks in the first semester examinations, whose results were declared last month.

Due to drug overdose, the girl was given a ‘stomach wash’ at MGM hospital and was stated to be stable but her parents, who were informed by the NIT authorities immediately, rushed her to Hyderabad for better treatment.


Meanwhile, NIT spokesperson Dr Puli Ravi Kumar ruled out ‘suicide’ and blamed an ‘accidental overdose’.      “The student had performed well in her first semester,” said Ravi Kumar.

Next: Supervisor killed by worker over salary

Supervisor killed by worker over salary

Chennai: The police arrested a worker of a private company for allegedly killing the firm’s supervisor following a quarrel over salary.

The arrested was identified as Shan Mandal who along with his three friends invited his victim Ujjan Kumar, a native of West Bengal, for a drinking session at Pillaipakkam, near Sriperumbudur, and strangled him to death on the night of December 24.


The police are on the look-out for the three associates of the suspect.

Next: Goon’s revenge plan backfires

Goon’s revenge plan backfires

DC/K.K. ABdul Rahoof

HyderabadThe attempt by a drunk rowdy-sheeter to exact revenge backfired and ended in his own death at Rajendranagar on Wednesday midnight.

G. Vijaykumar, 38, had a history of murder and attempt to murder cases. On Wednesday night, he tried to sell some items to a scrap merchant, identified as Kanakaiah, in order to make some money to buy liquor. Kanakaiah refused to take the items since he felt they were not worth buying.


“When the shop owner turned Vijaykumar down, he got angry and started a fight with him, which was witnessed by people in the area,” said Rajendranagar police inspector Ch Kushalkar.

Vijaykumar got the money from elsewhere, and got drunk. He returned to Kanakaiah’s shop in an inebriated condition after the owner had closed the shop at 9.30 pm. He managed to get entry into the shop and set fire to the scrap inside. The fire spread quickly and Vijaykumar was unable to escape.

When the fire started coming out of the roof, neighbours saw it and alerted the police and fire department. After the fire was extinguished, the cops entered the shop and found Vijaykumar’s burnt corpse.


“We have booked a case under CrPc 174 for suspicious death. We are investigating all angles of the case,” the inspector said.

Next: Two arrested with counterfeit cash

Two arrested with counterfeit cash

HyderabadA West Bengal native and his accomplice from the city were arrested while smuggling Rs 5.7 lakh of fake currency notes at Secunde-rabad railway station on Thursday.

Cops suspect the currency was manufactured at the country’s border and was brought to Hyderabad via Bengal by the accused Moinul Haq, 21. The main dealer of fake currency in the city, Md. Gouz, was about to receive the money, however, he is absconding now.


Cops arrested Chand-rayangutta resident Syed Tajmullah, 24, along with Moinul Haque.

Following a tip off, market police laid a trap for the duo at the railway station. “We arrested them while they were in possession of the counterfeit currency,” said B. Ravikiral, SI of market police. 

Police said that the duo was about to exchange the currency with the real currency and the police team trapped them before the transaction took place.

Officials said that the absconding accused Gouz was involved in similar cases in the past, and after his arrest more information about the gang will come out.


Next: Techie dies in road accident

Techie dies in road accident

HyderabadA software engineer working with Infosys, Pocharam, was killed in a road accident near Uppal on Thursday morning.

The accident occurred when the bike he was riding hit an RTC bus in front when the latter braked suddenly.

The victim was identified as A. Rakesh, 28, a resident of Pocharam and native of Warangal district. According to M. Jani, sub-inspector of Uppal, at around 9.30 am, Rakesh was heading to his office in Pocharam.

Near the Rajyalaxmi theatre in Uppal, the driver of a bus from the Bandlaguda bus depot, which was in front of Rakesh, suddenly braked. Rakesh rammed into the bus from behind. He died on the spot. The bus was seized and the driver taken into custody.


Next: Son-in-law is suspect in woman’s murder

Son-in-law is suspect in woman’s murder

VelloreJolarpet taluk inspector Saravanan and his team on Thursday fished out the body of a woman from a lake with a knife injury on her neck.

It is suspected that the woman was murdered by her son-in-law Venkatesh, who had an illicit relationship with her, according to preliminary investigations with the locals.

According to Saravanan, Lakshmi (42), wife of Yogi and a resident of Kunthi Mariyamman Koil Street, Kovil Vattam, Chakrakuppam in Jolarpet, did not return after leaving home on Wednesday.


In the meantime, the police received a complaint from Yelagiri mountain VAO Iliaz, who is also in charge of Kovil Vattam village, that a body was floating in a lake. The body was identified as that of Lakshmi’s.

Following a complaint from the VAO, the police are on the look-out for Venkatesh. No arrest has been made so far.

Next: Man killed in drunken brawl in Chennai

Man killed in drunken brawl

Chennai: A 26-year-old man was on Thursday murdered by three of his friends following a petty quarrel over a movie near Choolaimedu. Later in the evening, the police arrested the three friends.


The deceased, Satish, was a resident of Veerabathran nagar in Choolaimedu, and worked as a cab driver. He was found lying in a pool of blood near the Cooum river and passers-by informed the police.

Satish was rushed to the Kilpauk medical college hospital, where he was declared brought dead.

Preliminary investigations revealed that Satish was last seen with three of his friends, Nithya, Arun and Dinesh, consuming liquor on the banks of the Cooum.

Satish had refused his friends’ request to take them to a movie and had attacked them with a knife.


As all were drunk, the trio, in a fit of rage, snatched the knife from Satish and stabbed him to death.

Next: Couple held for cheating investors

Couple held for cheating investors

Chennai:  The central crime branch of the city police on Thursday arrested a husband-wife duo on charges of cheating people of Rs 26 lakh by running a monthly chit fund.

The accused, identified as Thiruppathi Rajan, 42, and Nagarathinam, 37, were picked up from their residence in Old Washermenpet area on Thursday morning. Investigations revealed that they had collected money from people promising good returns if they invested in monthly chits, with an intention to cheat them.


The accused were arrested and remanded to Puzhal.

Next: Rs 32 lakh worth drugs seized

Rs 32 lakh worth drugs seized

Tiruchy: Officials of the drug controlling directorate seized drugs worth Rs 32 lakh illegally hoarded in an unlicensed godown in the Subramaniapuram area here on Wednesday.

On a tip-off, a team of officials, led by assistant director of drug controlling, Chandrasekar, raided the godown and seized 130 boxes of the tablets.

The officials are now examining whether the drugs are genuine or spurious, sources said.

Next: Omnibus driver held for attacking passengers


Omnibus driver held for attacking passengers

DC/Irshad ahamed

TiruchyThe police arrested the 30-year-old driver of an omnibus here on Thursday on the charge of attempting to attack the passengers travelling in the vehicle.

The private omnibus began its journey from Chennai and took on board passengers bound for Tirunelveli and some other southern parts. Thirty passengers, including Siva Sena’s Tamil Nadu unit president Kumararaja, were on the bus.

When the bus reached Tiruchy, eight passengers alighted from the bus. The remaining 22 passengers, including Kumararaja and his personal security officer, who had purchased tickets from Chennai to Tirunelveli, were sitting in the bus expecting to continue their journey to their destination. But, there was no sign of the bus resuming its journey to Tirunelveli.


Subsequently, a quarrel broke out between the passengers and the bus crew as obdurate driver Karthikeyan refused to operate the bus to Tirunelveli from Tiruchy.

The irate passengers asked the bus crew to return the balance fare between Tiruchy and Tirunelveli. Besides refusing to return the fare, driver Karthikeyan allegedly attempted to attack the passengers with an iron rod.

The Cantonment police rushed to the spot, conducted an enquiry and arrested Karthikeyan. They also seized the bus.

The police have registered a case and are on the look-out for bus owner Mahendran of Madurai who is said to be absconding.


Next: Bus hits bike: 22 year old man dies on the spot

Bus hits bike: 22 year old man dies on the spot

Bangalore: A 22-year-old technician lost his life after an allegedly overspeeding school bus mowed him down in Mico Layout traffic police limits.

The deceased has been identified as Shivakumar, a native of Gulbarga.

Shivakumar was reportedly employed as a technician with a private firm in BTM Layout. He was a resident of Vinayakanagar in JP Nagar and was en route to work when the incident occurred.

Around 8.30 am, Shivakumar was riding on 29th main, Lake Road in BTM 2nd stage when a school bus belonging to Shantiniketan Trust School in BTM 2nd stage allegedly hit his vehicle from behind.


Shivakumar, who was reportedly not wearing a helmet, is said to have fallen off the vehicle and sustained grievous head injuries, the result of which he died on the spot. 

The bus is said to have been carrying teachers to the school when tragedy struck. The teachers were all safe, said the police.

Shivakumar’s body was sent to KIMS for the

post-mortem, following which it was handed over to his relatives. The Mico Layout traffic police managed to nab the driver, identified as Thimmegowda (40). A case has been registered.

Next: Kozhikode-native held for selling child


Kozhikode-native held for selling child

Kozhikode: The Kasaba police on Thursday registered a case against a man from Elappara near Kanjirappally in Kottayam district for allegedly selling his three-day old child to a woman for Rs 5,000 nine years ago.

The man, Alappra Manimalaveetil Somanathan was arrested  by the Kanjirappaly police and brought to Kozhikode after the woman,  Ambili and the boy he had allegedly sold to her, were taken into custody by the Kozhikode police on December 27.

Kasaba police station circle inspector, N Biswas said Somanathan had admitted to selling the boy, now nine years old,  to Ambili and her late husband, Nagarajan and a case had been registered against  him under section 317 of IPC which could attract punishment of upto seven years in prison.


Ambili has told the police that she and her husband bought the boy from Somanathan  as he was planning to kill him. Somanathan is also accused of selling a girl child to another couple from Kumbazah in Pathanamthitta district seven years ago.

That sale was reportedly carried out through a middleman named Ali , who is now being hunted by the  police.