Special: Fast & furious

Bike racers place bets up to Rs 50,000 while cops book 452 cases of rash driving.

Chennai: Dubbed an expensive pastime or an activity that provides an ‘adrenaline rush’, the motorcycle riders who indulge in illegal street racing grant that it is dangerous.

“The high one gets whipping past the traffic at high speeds is unmatched - it’s dangerous, but unmatched,” says Samyak, an engineering student who indulges in street racing from time to time. “It is not even planned at times. They gather at week-ends at these known spots and go for it,” he says. “Adyar Signal to Le Royal Meridian hotel and Thiruvanmiyur to War Memorial are still some of the popular race routes.”

Those who are seasoned in drag racing and street riding say that bets run as high as Rs 50,000, and at times, the loser of the race has to forfeit his bike. It is not necessary for the rider to pay all the time.

“There are these rich youths who invest in the bikes and also hire riders as they see it as a case of pride,” says Abishek, a resident of Velachery who performs bike stunts at competitions and shows. The more amateur ones, like the six youths caught on December 15, race on paltry bets.

The most common reply they come up with is that racing is an expensive sport and the tracks, like the one at Irungattukottai, near Sriperumbudur, which hold official races, are beyond their means. It’s cheaper racing on roads.

While still spotted on the stretches of Kamarajar Salai, Poonamalee High Road and other arterial city roads, the more serious ones have moved to the suburban stretches, like Rajiv Gandhi Salai or the East Coast Road and Vandalur-Kelambakkam High Road to avoid confrontation by the police. The abandoned airstrip near Sholavaram or an unfinished highway road near a private college in Tambaram, are other spots.

Until a decade ago, street racing was seen as a ‘cold war’ between mechanics in the city, who spruced up the engine’s performance to notch up high speeds, two wheelers being more or less the same then. With the advent of newer and faster motorcycles, the mechanics’ role has lessened, say enthusiasts.

Next: Cops continue to crack whip

Cops continue to crack whip

Chennai: The city traffic police have booked 452 cases of rash driving on two wheelers in 2013, 17 of which were involved in illegal street racing. “We have seized 19 two wheelers and will be cracking down on the erring youths henceforth,” say police officers. On December 15, two college students were among the six arrested, and on November 26, three juveniles.

“What they are indulging in is an explicit exhibition of irresponsible behaviour, putting in danger their own lives and those of citizens,” says a senior police officer.

According to data provided by the Chennai Traffic Police, 6,336 vehicles (including four-wheelers) have been booked for rash driving on Chennai roads in 2013 compared to 2,501 cases the previous year.

“Steps are being taken to control rash driving on the roads, as reflected in the statistics. Previously, we used to let these bike racers off with a warning and penalty, as most of them are students,” says a senior official. “Now we make sure we arrest and remand them. By remanding them, the parents come to know of it, which, we hope would instill fear, and thereby act as a deterrent.”
“It’s usually college students who indulge in point to point racing for thrills. It’s dangerous, but the thrill is unmatched,” says a college student.

Harshini, a teacher and resident of Besant Nagar, which acts as a starting point for most of these ‘races’, says, “There are these big bikes, with thumping loud horns, whipping past when residents are out for a late night stroll. It is scary.”