Madurai Kamaraj University in soup over rider

MKU to permit the two Ph.D scholars to continue the research under any new guide.

Madurai: The rider issued by Madurai Kamaraj Univ­ers­i­ty to allow the three res­ea­r­ch scholars penalized for demanding fellowships continue their research is nothing but eyewash, say affected students and the teachers’ unions.

All that they want the university to do is to repeal the orders cancelling the Ph.D registration of two scholars and prohibiting a post-doctoral fellow from continuing her research in the university and also to change its anti-student, anti-teacher sta­n­ce.

On Wednesday, the MKU administration, whi­ch held to its order, however said it was permitting the two Ph.D scholars C.Pand­iyarajan and J. Ar­un to continue the research under any new guide of their choice in any one of the research centres recognised by it.

With regard to differently-abled Kothari post-doctoral fellow Dr Eswari Pandaranayaka, it said if she could submit the report of the empowered committee if any in her favour, her case may be considered to pursue the research under the mentorship of any professor other than Dr S.Krishna­swa­my who served as her Ph.D guide.

“This rider serves no good. I have finished three years of research and I am eligible to submit my Ph.D thesis now. But the university is sending me out of the campus for having demanded release of fellowship. This is nothing but a diversionary tactics,” says Pandiya­raj­an, UGC-senior research fellow in the school of chemistry.

Arun too echoes his view. “This is the first time in the history of the academia in Tamil Nadu that a university has dismissed its research scholars. Res­e­a­­­r­ches being done in unique fields, we choose our topics and guides carefully, taking in to account the facilities available in the campuses to pursue our work. It is absolutely not possible to continue research in the university-recognised centre. This rider is only eyewash,” he says.