Offer bonanza for IIT-M students

Over 600 students receive 716 offers.

Chennai: Even as students from top engineering colleges in the state find it difficult to get jobs, students from IIT Madras seem to be lucky as several students have received more than one job offer from top-notch companies this year. Over 600 students have received 716 offers from 181 companies this year.

Speaking to Deccan Chronicle on Tuesday, Lt Col Jayakumar, deputy registrar (students, training and placement), Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras, said 69 per cent of B.Tech (dual degree) students who had registered for placement were placed, followed by 59.1 per cent B.Tech, 39.4 per cent M.Tech and 18.5 per cent M.A. students.

“Last year, on the same day, 551 students received 617 offers from 169 companies; so the situation has improved this year, which shows there is no recession as far as IIT-M is concerned,” he said. Pointing out that the institute expects more companies to visit their campus for placement this year, Lt Col Jayakumar says that 1,366 students registered for placement this year, whereas it was 1,282 last year and over 230 companies have confirmed participation in campus placement this year.

Commenting on the trend, eminent academician and career counsellor Jayaprakash A. Gandhi pointed out that companies look for students who continue to update their knowledge as companies venture into new fields today.

“IITians have good knowledge and are fully updated, in tune with the company’s expectation. For example, not many students in private engineering colleges are aware about Big Data whereas an IITian is fully updated about it. This makes the IITian stand out in the queue,” he said.