Hyderabad: At least four persons were injured when a piped gas connection in an apartment at Tellapur near Ramachandrapuram exploded on Tuesday afternoon.
The piped gas connection, which passes through all the flats in Bonsai Homes, exploded with a deafening sound damaging around 30 flats.
Initial inquiry revealed that electric spark from a calling bell of a closed flat on the third floor, which had gas leaking inside, triggered the blast. While one person suffered serious burn injuries, others were left with minor injuries.
“Workers from the gas company were repairing the connection and checking connection valves in each flat in the building. Flat number 311 on the third floor, where the gas had leaked, was locked and the owners were away.
Unaware of this, one of the gas mechanics, pressed the calling bell, which triggered the blast. “The entire one-inch pipeline, which passes through other flats, also burst. Around 30 flats in the five-floor building were damaged. Two mechanics and two inmates received injuries. The mechanic, who pressed the calling bell sustained serious burns,” informed RC Puram sub-inspector Ravindra Reddy.
The residents said Bonsai Homes management was about to provide piped gas facility to all the flats in the coming months. A resident of the apartment, explained, “All flats are connected by one main gas pipe which brings gas from a gas tank. The valve at flat number 311 must have been left open mistakenly by its owner who left for Delhi few months back.”
Cops have booked a case for negligence. However, the accused has not been named. “The gas connection is provided by a firm called Futuristic. We are verifying who is responsible. After that, accused will be named,” said Ravindra Reddy.