Crime file: 6-yr-old Hyd girl's killer had failed in love; mother, daughter held for stealing and more

Crime file: Muhammad Shabbir currently absconding; mother, daughter held for stealing and more.

Non-bailable warrant against AMU professor for assaulting girl

Aligarh (UP): A non-bailable warrant has been issued by a court here against a law department professor of Aligarh Muslim University accused of sexually assaulting a post-graduate girl student.

Chief Judicial Magistrate BD Bharti, before whom the lawyer of Professor Muhammad Shabbir, chairman of the law department of the university, had applied for a surrender application, issued a non-bailable warrant on Wednesday.

The court will hear the case further on Thursday.

Professor Shabbir was suspended from service on December 5 after charges by the girl were found "prima facie correct" by the Women Complaint Cell of the university. He is currently absconding.

Several raids were conducted during the past three days to trace the whereabouts of the professor and a police party will leave for Allahabad today to look for him, they said. All necessary steps are being taken by the university to ensure safety and security of women on AMU campus, AMU Vice Chancellor (Retired) Lt Gen Zameer Uddin Shah said in a statement.

"There is no question whatsoever of trying to shield Prof Shabbir. He will be fully answerable for his deeds under the due process of law," he said, adding that all necessary steps are being taken by the university so as to ensure that the victim does not get embarrass by questions on details of the incident.

The VC said that the victim and her father had met him on December 9 and he had "fully assured" them of taking all necessary stringent steps on this matter.

The alleged incident occurred on December 3 when the girl, studying LLM, filed a complaint alleging that the professor sexually harassed her when she met him for discussing a project report, AMU spokesman Rahat Abrar said.

The university authorities referred the matter to the Women Complaint Cell and after preliminary inquiry, the cell submitted its report. Acting on the report, which found charges of the girl "prima facie correct", the authorities suspended the teacher.

Next: 6-yr-old Hyderabad girl's killer had failed in love

6-yr-old Hyderabad girl's killer had failed in love

Hyderabad: K. Karan Kumar, the man who killed the six-year-old girl at the Secunderabad railway station on Tuesday, has told the police that he had a failed love affair and had come to Hyderabad without informing his family in Pannur village in Vijayapuram.

Kumar also said that he is HIV-positive. Police is verifying his claims and checking all facts. Kumar, a BA student in SRS Government College in Puttur, claimed that he was hospitalised a few months ago for mental illness.

Railway to beef up security after girl's killing at Secunderabad

“He had allegedly turned violent in his village in the past. We are yet to find out what made him kill the girl. Our investigation team is verifying the facts with the help of Chittoor police,” said a senior officer of the Secunder-abad Railway Police.

“He gave us a little information, which turned out to be true. Chittoor police also gave us vital information. Police will check with his neighbours and friends to understand his characteristics,” said an investigating officer.

Kumar spread terror at the station on Tuesday when he pounced on six-year-old Priyadarshani while she was waiting to get a ticket and stabbed her to death under the gaze of shocked passengers and the child’s relatives.

Next: Mother, daughter held for stealing

Mother, daughter held for stealing

Chennai: A 45-year-old woman and her 22-year-old daughter were caught by the public when they allegedly picked Rs 10,000 from the bag of a fellow woman passenger while travelling on an MTC bus (route No. 66, plying between Poonamallee and Tambaram) on Wednesday afternoon.

Sakunthala and her daughter Vasanthi, from Tiruvannamalai, were caught by other women passengers after conducting a body search.

“When the victim raised an alarm, the bus crew stopped the bus and asked other women passengers to do a body check on Vasanthi. There was no money with her. But while they were checking her, her mother Sakunthala tried to walk away. It was noticed by others and when she was check, it was found that she hiding the money in her blouse. Both women were later handed over to the police,” the police said.

Next: 2 Africans held with fake notes

2 Africans held with fake notes

Chennai: Two African nationals were detained by security agencies at Chennai airport with a huge quantity of Indian counterfeit notes, all believed to be colour photocopies of a Rs 1,000 note, before they boarded a Delhi-bound flight on Wednesday evening.

The police identified the two as Camera Franklin, 27, and his friend Johnson, natives of Guinea, a West African republic and an old French colony.

During screening, the CISF men found suspicious package in his luggage and when they opened it, they found photocopies of an Indian currency note.

“He was carrying fake notes with a face value of Rs 11 lakh. During interrogation, he said his friend was scheduled to travel on Wednesday by another flight. The police also caught him. He was carrying fake notes with a face value of Rs 14 lakh,” police sources said.

“Camera Franklin spoke only French and his native language besides broken English. He reached Chennai via Dubai along with Johnson in September this year on business visa,” the police said.

Franklin was also carrying unnamed chemicals in a cover, sources said. The police suspect that the two could be part of ‘international money doubling’ gang.

Next: Man shot dead by militants for not giving way

Man shot dead by militants for not giving way

Shillong: A man was shot dead by motorcycle borne militants in Meghalaya's East Garo Hills district for not giving way to their two wheeler, police said on Thursday.

The victim identified as Dominic Marak was travelling on a motorcycle in Rongjeng area of the district along with his wife last evening when he was shot dead for not giving way to the militants, who were also on two wheelers, the sources said.

According to the police, two young men accosted the couple for not giving way for their two-wheeler after which a heated argument took place.

One of them brandished a pistol and fired at Marak from close range killing him on the spot, police said.

The two attackers fled from the scene after the incident before police could arrive at the spot. An empty shell of a 7.65 mm pistol was recovered from the crime scene, police said, adding that a case was registered against the militants.

Next: Youth gets 7 yrs jail for kidnapping, raping 13-yr-old girl

Youth gets 7 yrs jail for kidnapping, raping 13-yr-old girl

New Delhi: A youth has been jailed for seven years for kidnapping and raping a 13-year-old girl after performing a sham marriage with a Delhi court saying he has spoilt her life as he did not disclose the fact that he was already married.

Additional Sessions Judge Illa Rawat held 25-year-old Satender Chauhan guilty of the offence of kidnapping a girl to compel her for marriage and raping her and refused to show any leniency to him as he cheated his wife also.

"The convict (Chauhan) not only cheated upon his own wife, but also spoilt the life of a minor innocent girl aged about 13 years to satisfy his lust.

"Since, the convict did not have any regard for his wife and child, when he was pursuing and inducing a minor girl to marry him, he is not entitled to a lenient view by taking plea that he being the sole earning member, is required to discharge his responsibility towards his wife, minor child and other family members," the court said and imposed a fine of Rs 9,000 on him.

It directed the Delhi government to pay a compensation of Rs one lakh to the girl for her welfare and rehabilitation under the 'Restorative and Compensatory Justice' Scheme. According to the police, a missing complaint was lodged by the girl's father on November 13, 2011 when his daughter, who had gone to market, did not return.

The girl returned home on November 21, 2011 and was taken to Mahendra Park police station in north west Delhi by her parents. The court noted that Chauhan performed a "sham marriage ceremony" with the girl at a temple and created an illusion in her mind that they were married and under the grab of consensual sexual relationship, he raped her for 12 days.

The girl had told the court that Chauhan was her neighbour earlier when he befriended her and on November 10 when she was going to market, she met the accused and she went with him when he asked her to marry him.

The girl said Chauhan took her to a temple and put vermilion on her forehead and they stayed at his house and developed physical relations. She came to know from the neighbours that he was already married and on confronting him, he claimed he had taken divorce from his wife.

She initially did not return home as she had eloped with him and also because her parents would not accept her, the girl had told the court, adding that when she later asked Chauhan to take her to her parental home, he dropped her at Jahangirpuri metro station.

After reaching home, she disclosed to her parents about the incident and they took her to the police station. The court dismissed Chauhan's leniency plea that he has to support his wife and minor daughter.

Next: Court acquits man accused of raping office junior

Court acquits man accused of raping office junior

New Delhi: A man, accused of raping his junior colleague in office, has been acquitted by a Delhi court after the woman denied of being "sexually assaulted" during deposition.

Additional sessions judge Yogesh Khanna let off the man, a supervisor of security guards at a TV news channel office here, of the charges of raping the married woman, who was working under him in the security team, in the office premises.

The judge said nothing incriminating was found against the accused as the alleged victim and her husband have also "turned hostile" during their deposition in the court.

"On the basis of the facts and circumstances especially the fact that the prosecutrix (woman) had denied sexual assault upon her and further denied that he ever committed any rape upon her, the case of the prosecution stands not proved and hence the accused become entitled to be acquitted of the charges framed against him," the court said.

The police had arrested 50-year-old supervisor after the woman and her husband, a tailor by profession, had lodged a complaint with the south Delhi police alleging that she was raped by him while she was on duty on the night of June 22.

"On June 22, 2013 night, she along with other security staff went to the canteen... and took the food from there and brought it to her place. While she was taking food, the man came there and started threatening all of them that he would remove them from services and then misbehaved with her," the woman had said in her complaint.

She further said that he threatened her saying that he would teach her a lesson and later forcibly took her to a bathroom in the office and raped her. While acquitting the man, the court observed that the woman during her deposition had said that she had lodged the complaint at the instance of her colleagues and had made the statement out of anger and rage against the accused.

Next: 3 die as van hits bus stop

3 die as van hits bus stop

Chennai: Three persons — an engineering student, an MTC conductor, and a woman casual labourer- were killed as the driver of a private van lost control and rammed it into a bus shelter after hitting traffic barricades and finally coming to a halt in a compound near Moolakadai junction on Wednesday.

The Madhavaram traffic wing arrested driver Rahamatullah, 45, and remanded him in custody. Police sources said he claimed to be innocent as he alleged that he had a medical history of seizures and that he had no idea how the accident occurred.

The van was on its way to pick up students from Vadaperumbakkam to drop them at their school in M.K.B. Nagar near Vyasarpadi. Around 6.45 am, Rahamathullah lost control of the vehicle on G.N.T. Road and hit the traffic barricade, the police said.

Dragging the barricade, he crashed the vehicle into the Moolakadai bus stop, killing on the spot Rangabashyam, (55), a casual labourer and resident of Pulianthope.

The Madhavaram traffic investigation wing rushed to the spot and admitted seven injured persons, including Anthon­iya­mmal, the van attendant, to Stanley Medical College Hospital for treatment.

Rajesh (54), a senior conductor with MTC, hailing from Kodungaiyur, who was on duty regulating MTC buses to stop at bus shelters during peak hours, was also injured in the accident and succumbed a few hours later at the hospital. Arun Kumar, (17), an engineering student and resident of Madhavaram, who was waiting at the bus stop for his college bus, died a little later in hospital, not responding to treatment.

The other injured, Karn­ammal, Mani, Vivek, Ant­honiyammal and an­other person, are undergoing treatment at Stanley hospital.

Next: Toddler dies as brick falls on head at site

Toddler dies as brick falls on head at site

Chennai: A one-and-a-half-year-old child died after a brick fell on his head from the third floor of an under construction building on Raja­sekaran street in Mylapore on Wednesday.

According to the police, Bhanshan, the child, was playing below the building around 12 noon on Tuesday when the incident happened and the child, who was rushed to the Rajiv Gandhi government general hospital (RGGGH), succumbed to injuries on Wednesday.

The child’s father, Harish, works as a security guard on the site and stayed there along with his wife and three children.

After hearing the cries of the child, the workers and the parents rescued and took him to the government Royapettah hospital nearby. He was later shifted to the RGGGH for further treatment, where the child died.

A police team who enquired with the family members, said the child’s mother.

Basanth was feeding her children in the makeshift settlement when Bhanshan went towards the construction site and got injured in the accident.

Harish was working as a guard there for the last 10 months and has two more young children, Rajesh and Roshan, the police said.

The Royapettah police registered a case and ar­rested construction worker P.J. Talai, 25,of Odisha, construction supervisor Nat­esan, 32, sub-contractor Palani Vel and site engineer Rama Goban and remanded them in Puzhal prison on Wednesday.

( Source : dc/agencies )