AP bifurcation: 5-yr quota worries students

Confusion regarding who will be considered local students in Bill.

Hyderabad: The AP Reorganisation Bill 2013 approved by the Union Cabinet on Thur-sday has left many questions unanswered as far as issues concerning students.
The Bill states: “In order to ensure equal opportunities for quality higher education to all students in the successor states, the existing admission quotas in all government or private, aided or unaided, institutions of higher, technical and medical education shall continue for a period not exceeding five years during which the existing common admission process shall continue.”

Though this provision in the Bill has brought respite to students aiming for admissions in some of the best colleges in Hyderabad for five years, since there will be no change in the entrance exams and admissions pattern, students and parents point out that when the Bill proposes Hyderabad to be the common capital for 10 years, why do admissions and quotas in educational institutions have to be restricted only for five years?

There is no clarity over who will be considered local or non-local students in the Bill. What will be the status of Seemandhra students who continue their studies in Hyderabad after five years?

Students feel they should opt for colleges in Hyderabad only if they are confident of completing their studies within the five-year deadline. What about students who take admissions in colleges during the fifth year?

At present, a student for admission in professional colleges is regarded as a local candidate in relation to a local area.

Here local area means: The part of the state comprising the districts of Hyderabad (Twin Cities), Adilabad, Ranga Reddy, Karimnagar, Khammam, Medak, Mahbubnagar, Nalgonda, Nizamabad and Warangal shall be regarded as the Osmania University Local Area (Telangana).

The part of the state comprising the districts of Srikakulam, Vizianagaram, Vishakhapatnam, East Godavari, West Godavari, Krishna, Guntur and Prakasam shall be regarded as the Andhra University Local Area (Andhra). The part of the state comprising the districts of Anantapur, Kurnool, Chittoor, Kadapa and Nellore shall be regarded as the Sri Venkateswara University Local Area (Rayalaseema).

At present, a student is considered as “local,” if he/she has studied in educational Institutions in such local area for a period of not less than four consecutive academic years ending with the academic year in which he/she appeared, or as the case may be, first appeared in the relevant qualifying exam.

A student who is not regarded as a local candidate to any local area shall be called “local”, if he/she has studied in educational institutions in the state for a period of not less than seven consecutive academic years ending with the academic year in which he/she appeared, or as the case may be, first appeared for the relevant qualifying examination.

He/she will be local candidate for that area where he/she has studied for the maximum period out of said period of seven years.

The Centre now has to give clarity over whether the same local policy would be adopted in both the new states for a period of five years post bifurcation for admissions.