MMC students move in

First year students of Madras Medical College moves to new building.
Chennai: The first year students of Madras Medical College (MMC) moved to the new building on the erstwhile central jail campus on Wednesday. A total of 250 students attended theory classes on the first day. “This is the 179th batch and we are shifting in a phased manner. At present, anatomy, physiology and biochemistry classes are being held here. Three buses have been arranged for students to commute from the new to the old campus for practical classes,” said MMC dean, Dr V. Kanagasabai.
The six-storey building was constructed at a cost of Rs 60 crore and the public works department started the construction work in 2010.
Initially, it was planned to start the class for a new batch on the old jail campus in August, but there was a delay in setting up furniture and equipment.
Students took pictures and said they were happy to move into the new premises. “We are the first batch and the place is very spacious,” said one of the medical students.
While the second floor consists of a library, the spacious 44,000 sq ft sixth floor is only for examinations.
The dean said second year and third year students would also be shif­ted to the new campus so­on.
“We have started new courses, such as audiology and speech lea­r­ning pathology, am­o­ng others, so they will occupy the old campus,” said Dr Kanagasabai.
“MMC was founded in 1835. The first woman do­c­tor Mary Ann Da­co­mb Scharlieb graduated from this prestigious institution in 1878,” said the dean.