The Indian Premier League 2020

Related Stories

Crime file: Juveniles rape minor for 10 days in AP, arrested; man makes girl drink toddy to rape her and more

Published Dec 3, 2013, 3:31 am IST
Updated Mar 18, 2019, 9:37 pm IST
Crime file: Boys aged 16,17 kept girl captive; man makes girl drink toddy to rape her and more.

Minor girl raped for 10 days in AP, two arrested 

Vijayawada (AP): A minor girl has been allegedly raped here over a period of 10 days after being confined, police said on Monday. 


Two boys, aged 16 and 17, have been arrested in the connection.

The girl arrived here from Secunderabad some days ago and visited the local Kanakadurga temple, where she came in contact with one of the accused, police inspector Hanumantha Rao told reporters. 

He lured the victim to his house nearby and sexually assaulted her. Later a friend of the accused forced himself on her. 

Late Sunday night, when she visited the temple accompanied by one of the accused, security guards there grew suspicious and caught them before handing over them to the police, Rao said. 


On interrogation, the boy admitted to have kept the girl captive and abused her along with his friend, police said. Both the boys were arrested for allegedly raping the girl repeatedly, whom they kept in captivity for 10 days, and a case was filed under the Nirbhaya Act. The girl has been sent to a government hospital for medical examination, they said.

Next: Man makes minor girl drink toddy, tries to rape her; locaks hand him to police

Man makes minor girl drink toddy, tries to rape her; locaks hand him to police

Hyderabad: A 40-year-old man was on Monday thrashed by public at Rajendranagar area here before being handed over to police after he allegedly tried to rape a minor girl, police said on Monday.


Bhairang C., a resident of Erraguda, where the 13-year-old girl also lives, took her to a toddy shop Monday afternoon and purchased the drink. He then gave it to her and consumed the same himself and allegedly attempted to rape her while she was in an 'intoxicated' state, police said quoting locals.

A local noticed the act and suspecting that he may have tried to rape the girl, caught hold of Bhairang and with the help of other residents thrashed him up and later handed him over to police, Rajendranagar Police Inspector Ch. Kushalkar said.

"Bhairang claimed that he was only trying to make her sleep, however, after locals lodged a complaint and after inquiring the matter we booked a case against him on charge of attempt to rape a minor and arrested the accused," the inspector said.


During investigations, it was also revealed that the girl was habituated to consuming toddy and liquor for the past several months as some residents used to ask her to bring toddy and liquor after paying her some amount, police said.

In the process, the girl approached Bhairang today and asked him to give some money to have toddy after which he took her to the toddy shop, they added. 

Next: Mother throws child out of moving train in West Bengal

Mother throws child out of moving train in West Bengal

Barasat(WB): In a bizarre incident, a mother flung her 20-month-old baby out of a moving train near Naihati station in North 24 Parganas district on Monday.


The child was rescued by co-passengers and admitted to Naihati State General Hospital.

The woman, Purnima Saha of Kalyani, had boarded the up Krishnagar Nagar suburban train from Naihati when the child landed on the tracks after being flung by her. Superintendent of Railway police, Sealdah, Utpal Naskar said the woman was being interrogated.

The woman, who was travelling with the baby, is the mother of another 14-year-old daughter. Her husband who was on a visit to Tarapith, sells lottery tickets.

The husband has been asked to report to the SRP, Naskar said. Naihati GRP sources said the woman was mentally unstable.


Next: Techie cuts wrist, jumps from thid floor to death

Techie cuts wrist, jumps from thid floor to death

Hyderabad: An employee of Infosys jumped to his death from a multi-storied building at the Sanskruti township in Annojiguda of Ghatkesar in the early hours of Monday.

The software engineer, Deepak Habeeb, 33, a native of Hubli, first slit his wrist and a few minutes later jumped from the third floor of the building, according to police reports.

Investigating officers say they found blood all over his flat, the building’s lift and on the balcony from where he jumped. The reason behind the suicide is not known yet, Ghatkesar police said.
Deepak Habeeb arrived in the city two weeks ago and joined the Infosys campus at Pocharam. He moved into a rented flat in Sanskriti recently.


Also read: Exam fear drives medico to suicide in Hyderabad

The incident occurred at around 5.30 am on Monday. “The watchman heard something falling and rushed to see what had happened. He saw the victim lying on the concrete ground moaning. He alerted others and called 108. However, before Deepak could be shifted to hospital he succumbed,” said Ghatkesar Inspector V.V Chalapathi.

The victim suffered a leg and hand fracture. No internal injuries were found. “He had lost a lot of blood before he jumped. The real cause of death will come to light in the post-mortem report,” the inspector said.


Police said that Deepak lived in a flat on the ground floor of the same building. “After he slit his wrist he went to the third floor, and jumped from the balcony,” Chalapathi said.

Residents of Sanskruti said that Deepak moved in on November 23 and was alone. “Last Monday he was seen moving household articles into the flat,” said Mr B. Srinivas who lives in the same area.

The police is examining mobile phone records and belongings of the deceased to find clues. “His family has been informed. When they arrive we can get details,” the investigating officer said, adding that no suicide note was found in the room. The police has booked a case under CrPc 174 and launched an investigation.



Next: Juveniles held for burning boy to death

Juveniles held for burning boy to death

Chennai: The police on Sunday identified two juvenile college students to be behind the death of 10-year-old kid, Chinna Murugan, who was found charred at the children’s home Sathyajothi Karunai Illam at Olimohammadpettai in Kancheepuram district on Thursday.

Murugan was found dead on the first floor of warden Karmegam’s residence on the premises. The public, who accused Karmegam of murdering the boy, manhandled him on Thursday. The Kanchi taluk police who have since registered a case and were investigating, found that the victim was last seen talking to one of the accused.


“The accused had initially denied seeing the victim that night and told us that he had gone to attend computer coaching with his friend that evening,” a police officer said, adding that the version was found to be false.

Naturally, the duo was suspected and when we questioned them separately, they gave in and confessed to the crime, the police said. The victim used to help cook Parvathi, an elderly woman, who is also hearing impaired, an official said.

On Thursday, Parvathy had not turned up for work and one of the accused had questioned the victim for delaying the cooking and asked him to cook the meal for noon, police sources said. An argument followed and the two boys overpowered the victim and hit him with a log after which he fell unconscious.


The two later dragged the boy to near the terrace and poured kerosene over the boy, taken from the kitchen, and set him on fire, the police added. “Later, they quietly mingled with the crowd along with other inmates who were helping an accident victim on the road,” sub-inspector Nataraj of Kanchi taluk police said.

Based on the confessions, the police arrested the two and sent them to a juvenile home in Saidapet.

Next: Chennai policeman arrested for bigamy

Chennai policeman arrested for bigamy

Chennai: The city police arrested on Sunday a 37-year-old policeman who had ditched his wife, married his lover and started living with her.


Srivas, working with the intelligence wing of the city police, resided at Antony Church street in Puzhal, along with his wife Sheela, 32, with whom he had a love marriage 10 years ago, police sources said. The couple also has two daughters.

Primary investigations reveal that the man had become intimate with another woman, Rachel, 25, who used to visit his neighbour, the police added. Srivas had taken a leave a month ago and went missing.

After attempts to register a complaint with the local police proved futile, his wife approached the Madras high court, on whose orders, a police team secured the man and his lover from a village near Vellore.


His wife approached the police commissioner’s office recently, when the policeman refused to live with her and started living with his lover even after returning to Chennai.

After a probe by the Madhavaram district police, the officials confirmed the man’s second marriage, and a case was registered with the Madhavaram all women police station. The policeman was arrested on Sunday. A case of harassment, breach of trust and bigamy has been registered against the accused, police sources said.

Next: HOD shot at by youth institute in Haryana


HOD shot at by youth institute in Haryana

Rohtak: The head of hotel and tourism management department at an institute of Maharishi Dayanand University was on Monday shot at and critically injured by a youth in his office on the university campus here, police said.

Dr Ashish Dahiya was alone in his office on the new university campus this morning when the armed-youth barged in and fired three shots from a close range, two of which hit the victim in his stomach, police said.

Dahiya was rushed to casualty ward of PGIMS hospital here, where doctors carried out emergency surgery to save his life, following which he was admitted to Intensive Care Unit and his condition was stated to be critical, they said.


A former student of the varsity may be behind the crime, they said, adding that the cause of the assault is yet to be ascertained. The police have started a probe in the matter after registering a case against unidentified persons under relevant sections of the India Penal Code in this regard.

"We have begun investigation to find out identity of the attacker and the reason behind this assault. Statements of staffers and students are also being recorded to ascertain the clue about the attacker," police said.

Giving details, police said out of three shots fired by the assailant, one round missed the target, but two bullets pierced through Dahiya's stomach. The attacker managed to escape from the scene after the crime, they said.


Hearing sound of gun-shots, other faculty members and students rushed to the office and found Dahiya lying in a pool of blood. They then rushed him to PGIMS here. Security personnel failed to nab the attacker even though they cordoned off all exit points of the university just after the incident, they said.

Notably, Dahiya was recently bestowed with 'Atithi Ratna Award' during a national conference organised by Central University, Garhwal, in Rishikesh (Uttarakhand). 

Next: ISRO electrician murders wife

ISRO electrician murders wife

Bangalore: An electrician allegedly smothered his newly-wed wife to death and tried to mislead police by saying she had committed suicide by consuming poison. The incident was reported at A K Colony in Mathikere in Yashwantapur police station limits in the wee hours of Sunday.


The victim has been identified as Prema, 19. She was married to Gangaraju, 23, who was working as an electrician at ISRO on a contract basis. Following the incident, the police have arrested him.
According to the police, Gangaraju went home late on Saturday night. A quarrel ensued between the couple. 

In a fit of rage, he smothered Prema using a pillow. After she died, he took her to a nearby private hospital, and misled the doctors that she had consumed poison and asked them to treat her. However, the doctors who examined her declared her brought dead.


Later, the police were alerted about the issue and a case of unnatural death was registered.

“On Sunday morning, doctors gave a report stating that Prema had not consumed poison. The police then took Gangaraju into custody. Upon interrogation, he confessed to have smothered his wife to death.

“He informed that there were frequent quarrels as Prema suspected his fidelity and it had increased from the last three days,” police said.

Next: Man held for sexually harassing teenage daughter

Man held for sexually harassing teenage daughter

Guwahati: The police have arrested a man on the charge of sexually harassing her 19-year-old daughter in Guwahati, the police said on Monday.


The BA 1st year student, a resident of Six Mile area here, lodged an FIR in Dispur police station yesterday that her father was sexually harassing her for the past three months. The girl also complained in her FIR that her father, a shop owner, was also physically assaulting her regularly.

The man was arrested under Section 354 IPC (assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty). He was remanded to jail custody by a local court.

Next: Woman, son get life term for murdering husband

Woman, son get life term for murdering husband 


New Delhi: A 40-year-old woman, along with her son, has been sentenced to life imprisonment by a Delhi court for murdering her husband to keep the possession of their house with them as the victim was selling it.

The court awarded the jail term to Shabana and her 22-year-old son Imran Khan, for the offence of murder, saying, "The killing of one's own husband or father cannot be justified on any ground whatsoever."

Additional Sessions Judge Ashutosh Kumar rejected the plea of the prosecution that the two convicts be given maximum punishment of death penalty. "I am of the considered opinion that this case does not fall in the category of rarest of rare cases, which warrants death sentence," the judge said.


The court also imposed a fine of Rs 5,000 each on Shabana and Imran, both residents of Uttam Nagar here. The court noted that both the convicts, on the basis of their common intention, murdered Illiyas in a 'brutal and inhuman manner' by giving him repeated beatings with deadly weapons.

As per the police, the incident took place on April 26, 2011 when Illiyas had brought a woman, who was interested in buying the property, to the ground floor of his Uttam Nagar house and his first wife Shabana along with her daughter also came there.

Shabana, who was living on the first floor of the house with her three children, asked her husband not to sell the property but he did not listen to her. He two sons, Imran and a minor, came downstairs armed with iron rods and baseball bat and mercilessly beat the victim leading to his death.


After the incident, Shabana was arrested from her house and Imran had fled the spot and was nabbed later on. The juvenile was being tried separately before the Juvenile Justice Board. Illiyas was living in a rented accommodation with his second wife and mother.

The court said though Shabana and her children felt insecure and aggrieved with the victim's decision to sell the house, still they should not have taken the law into their own hands

Next: Manappuram staff steal pledged gold ornaments

Manappuram staff steal pledged gold ornaments

Anantapur: At least 5 kg of gold jewellery worth around Rs 1.51 crore was found missing from the safe lockers of the Manappuram Gold Finance Company on Raju Road in Anantapur.


Reports say that the gold ornaments were replaced with coated ornaments by the staff. The staff is accused of  having  replaced  gold jewellery  belonging to 136 accounts.

The incident came to light on Sunday during an audit at the branch during which auditors found a pledged jewellery bag’s seal  broken. The auditors then conducted a check and found  that gold ornaments had been replaced with  coated ones.

Manappuram’s area manager Narasimhulu  lodged a complaint with the One Town police against the staff involved in the fraud. Police questioned all staffers including manager T. Rangaiah and assistant manager K. Vikram and took both of them into custody. 


Sources said the manager and assistant manager  were involved in the fraud as they replaced the gold ornaments and pledged them with  other finance companies and banks. They were allegedly involved in cricket betting and other illegal activities and used to lend money.

Sources said they had successfully replaced precious gold jewellery with gold coated ornaments. The alleged involvement of the manager and assistant manager  has raised questions about the modus operandi of the company which sanctions loans in a few minutes.

Meanwhile, customers gathered at the police station  and staged a protest.



Next: 4 arrested for grabbing land worth Rs 50 crore

4 arrested for grabbing land worth Rs 50 crore

Chennai: The anti-land grab cell of the central crime branch (CCB) on Saturday arrested four persons who allegedly usurped prime property worth Rs 50 crore on Wall Tax road with fake documents.

Police investigations revealed that the accused had forged a fake sale deed of 1960 and sneaked them into the records at the sub-registrar office and got patta in their names.

The 28 ground land, originally bought in 1961 by Narainsingh Ghanshamsingh, was inherited by his grandson Vickramsingh Chabria.  The accused grabbed the land using fake documents. Subsequently, a complaint was registered and investigations revealed that the accused had forged a document as if Ghanshamsingh had sold the property to P. Vijayaraj, in 1969, a release said.


This fake sale deed was inserted in the Purasawalkam SRO by removing the original document, explained a police officer. Following this, Vijayaraj got patta and executed a sale deed in favour of another accused, Mohammed Illiyas, a resident of Bengaluru.

Following a special operation, absconding accused U. Dhanapala Krishnan, Peter D’Cruz and M. Chellia were arrested on Saturday and remanded in judicial custody.

Next: Man held for smuggling gold in Tiruchy

Man held for smuggling gold in Tiruchy

Tiruchy: A 46-year-old air passenger was arrested at Tiruchy airport when he attempted to smuggle in 900 grams (112.5 sovereigns ) of gold in nine capsules, from Malaysia, concealed in his rectum.


The sleuths of air customs examined the passports of all the passengers who travelled from Malaysia in an Air Asia flight to Tiruchy on Saturday night when they stumbled upon Sadiq Batcha (46) of Mimisal, in Pudukottai district, who had travelled 14 times in four months.

The sleuths grew suspicious and conducted a thorough check of his personal belongings but found nothing incriminating. On being grilled, he made contradictory statements.

Next: Bangalore auto drivercommits suicide

Bangalore auto drivercommits suicide

Bangalore: An auto driver reportedly hanged himself at his house in Vijayanagar police limits more than three days ago. The deceased has been identified as M. Manjunath (38), a resident of Pattegarapalya.


The police said that Manjunath and his wife Vidya, a home maker fought constantly over their financial troubles. The couple, who have a son, stayed in a rented house, the police said. On November 27, Vidya left to Attibele to attend a family function, while her son was in Madikeri.

Manjunath was alone at home when he hanged himself from the ceiling fan using a rope. The incident only came to light on Saturday evening when neighbours complained of a foul smell coming from the house.

The Vijayanagar police broke open the door and found the partially decomposed body of Manjunath. No death note was found, but the police suspect he was frustrated with constant quarrels. His body was sent to Victoria Hospital for the postmortem. A case of unnatural death has been registered by the Vijayanagar police, who are investigating.