Crime file: IT professional raped in Kerala resort; techie ends life by jumping from building in Hyderabad and more

Published Dec 1, 2013, 8:52 pm IST
Updated Jan 20, 2016, 3:20 pm IST
Crime file: 40-yr-old woman raped by duo; techie jumps from 3rd floor to death in Hyd and more.

IT professional raped in Kerala resort; search on for culprits

Thiruvananthapuram: A 40-year old woman IT professional from Bangalore was allegedly raped at a backwater island resort near here and police are on the lookout for two persons involved in the incident.


The woman had come to the star category resort at Pozhiyur, about 30 km from here, with a group of colleagues as part of an official trip and she was allegedly assaulted by two persons in the wee hours on November 28, police said.

Read here: Lok Adalat asks man to spend equal time with wife, live-in partner

According to her complaint with police, two unidentified persons entered her room at around 2.30 AM. While one of them restrained her, the other man raped her.

The woman suffered injuries during the assault and was in a traumatised state after the incident. She made a complaint to the police the next evening.

Police have registered a case of rape on the basis of the victim's statement. She has left for Bangalore.

Forensic evidence collected from the room had been sent for analysis and phone call details of the guests at the resort at the time of the crime and the staff members were being verified, an Inspector, part of the investigating team, said. The resort is under surveillance and the staff members had been questioned.

CPI(M) leader V.S. Achuthanandan asked the state government to institute a criminal inquiry into the incident.

In a statement here on Sunday, he demanded that the owner of the resort also be brought under the ambit of the probe for rendering the premises insecure for women despite the star-category status it holds.

Next: Techie ends life by jumping from building in Hyderabad

Techie ends life by jumping from building in Hyderabad

Hyderabad: A software employee from Karnataka, who was working with an IT major here, allegedly committed suicide by jumping from the third-floor of a building in the city's Singapore Township.

Deepak (33), who hails from Hubli, initially attempted suicide by slashing his wrist and later went to the third-floor of the building and jumped to death, police said on Sunday.

"He (Deepak) joined a software organisation here on November 18 after transfer from Bangalore and rented a flat in the Singapore Township in Annojiguda area on November 24. He was staying alone," Ghatkesar Police Inspector V.V. Chalapathi told PTI. No suicide note was found, he said.

"The parents and family members of Deepak have been informed about the incident and after recording their statement, we will come to know the exact reason as to why Deepak resorted to the extreme step," he said.

Ghatkesar police booked a case of suicide and were further investigating. 

Next: Indian-origin couple found dead in UK home

Indian-origin couple found dead in UK home

London: An Indian-origin married couple have been found dead in their home in Southall, a Punjabi-dominated suburb on the outskirts of west London, police said on Sunday.

Sanjeev Kumar (36), also known as Satbir Singh, was found hanged while his wife, Poonam (35), lay dead at their residence on Western Road on Friday.

According to Scotland Yard, post-mortem examinations have revealed that Poonam had been killed by "compression of the neck", while her husband died of "suspension caused by hanging". Kumar's death was not seen as suspicious from the start, implying a suicidal act.

"Officers were called at approximately 3.10 pm on Friday to an address in Priory Way, Western Road, Southall following concerns for the welfare of residents there," a Metropolitan Police spokesperson said.

"Officers attended and discovered the bodies of a man and a woman, both aged in their 30s. Both were pronounced dead at the scene," the spokesperson said.

The couple's next of kin have been informed and the police have confirmed that they are not looking for anyone else in connection with the deaths. Officers from Scotland Yard's Homicide and Major Crime Command are investigating the woman's death as a murder. According to local media reports, Kumar may have strangled his wife before taking his own life.

Next: Two held for temple robberies; silver worth Rs 8 lakh seized

Two held for temple robberies; silver worth Rs 8 lakh seized 

Vijayawada: Two suspected members of an inter-state gang, allegedly involved in carrying out thefts at a number of temples in Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka, were today arrested and silver ornaments worth Rs 8 lakh recovered from them, police said.

"Kurava Nagaraju, Kavaati Prashanta Kumar and Kuderu Anji--all belonging to Uravakonda and Kalyandurgam in Anantapur district - used to loot temples in Andhra Pradesh and neighbouring Karnataka. They were involved in carrying out thefts in a number of temples in Vijayawada, Guntur, Khammam, Nandyala and Bellary in last six months," a press release from the office of Police Commissionarate said.

While Nagaraju and Kumar were arrested, another member of the gang, Kuderu is still at large and special teams are fanned out to trace him, the release said.

Gannavaram police had formed special teams to pick up the trail of the thieves after receiving a number of complaints of thefts at temples. 

Next: Maid charged with making ISD calls worth hundreds of dollars

Maid charged with making ISD calls worth hundreds of dollars

Dubai: A 27-year-old South Asian housemaid has been charged with theft in a court here for stealing her employer's SIM card and making international phone calls worth more than USD 2,000.

The owner of the SIM, a 27-year-old Emirati police officer, continued receiving bills totalling USD 2022.87 for August and September months on a card believed to be lost.

"My brother lost a SIM card, but since it was not registered in his name, he did not file a police complaint. He did not report it lost and did not apply for a substitute either," the complainant was quoted as saying by the Khaleej Times newspaper.

"We asked the maid whether she used that SIM card and she denied having used it. But a statement of calls from Etisalat showed there were calls made to Bangladesh," he said.

Two other maids, both Ethiopians, who work in the same house confirmed to the family that the accused did in fact have a mobile phone which she used to call her family in Bangladesh.

According to these maids, the accused claimed that her brother had given her the phone and the SIM card. "She also let the other maids call their families in Ethiopia. But they did not know at that time that the card was stolen," the complainant added. 

Next: New mother ends life after quarrel with husband

New mother ends life after quarrel

Hyderabad:  A woman committed suicide after an argument with her husband and in-laws over consulting a doctor for her newborn baby girl. The baby was born prematurely to 18-year-old Mamta, the wife of Suresh, a mechanic.

SI S. Srinath said Suresh used to quarrel with Mamta over the amount being spent on treatment. On Thursday, when she was about to take the baby for a check-up, she had an argument with her mother-in-law. She later ended her life.

Next: 10-yr-old found charred to death in children's home

10-yr-old found charred to death in children's home

Chennai: Mystery shrouds the death of a 10-year-old boy whose charred body was found on Thursday in the premises of a private children’s home in Kancheepuram. Following the incident, the district officials are on a drive inspecting other homes in the district and shutting those which do not meet requisite standards.

Murugan, a class V student at a local school, stayed at Sathyajothi Karunai Illam at Olimohammadpettai in Kancheepuram district, the police said. At least 30 children in the same age group from nearby villages also stay at the home, they added. On Thursday, after the children returned from school, Murugan was seen accompanying warden Karmegam for dinner preparations, investigations revealed.

According to initial reports, around 8 pm, Karmegam went to his house within the premises and when he returned, he found the charred body of the boy near the staircase. The news spread and people gathered, accusing the warden of killing the boy. They manhandled him before informing the police.

The Kancheepuram taluk police who arrived at the spot secured the boy’s body and sent it to the Kancheepuram government hospital. The warden was also admitted there for treatment. Social welfare director P.M. Basheer Ahmed inspected the home on Friday and transferred the other students to a government home.

On Friday, the boy’s mother Sasikala registered a complaint with the police, demanding probe into her son’ death, following which the boy’s body was transferred to the Chengalpet medical college hospital for autopsy.

“We have registered a case of death under mysterious circumstances and any further investigations in the case will be done after the autopsy report,” a police official said. A team led by the district child welfare officer closed two other homes for poor infrastructure facilities and transferred around 53 children to government homes on Saturday.

Next: Falling bricks kill woman in Chennai

Falling bricks kill woman

Chennai: In a freak accident, a 68-year-old woman died and another elderly man was injured after a portion of a wall of an under-construction building in Nungambakkam collapsed over them on Saturday.

The victim, Dhanabakiyam, and her neighbour, Hari, 54, were chatting outside their house at Melpadi Muthu Street off Valluvar Kottam High road, when the incident happened.

According to eyewitnesses, the workers were engaged in closing the sidewall on the first floor of the building, when all of a sudden, the wall collapsed and fell through the asbestos roof just above where the senior citizens were standing.

Neighbours rushed the injured duo to a local hospital, where the woman was declared brought dead, while the man, who suffered injuries on the head and leg, is undergoing treatment, the police said.

The Nungambakkam police have registered a case and are on the lookout for the owner of the building, Mohan.  The workers involved fled the area immediately. One of Dhanabakiyam’s grandsons informed that she was living in the single room house with a mentally challenged son while her five daughters are married off and live separately.