Puducherry: The Medical Council of India (MCI) issued directions to the health secretary and department director to discharge students admitted to MBBS courses in seven private medical colleges and deemed universities in the Union Territory under the management quota, bypassing the Centralised Admission Committee (Centac) in the academic year 2016-17. A letter from Rajendra Wabale, joint secretary of MCI, states that these medical colleges failed to show’ any evidence of transparency and fairness in the admission process and violated Supreme Court directions. The MCI order means that the admission of these students virtually stands cancelled.
The UT All Centac Students Parents Association had lodged a complaint with the MCI stating that MBBS admission for 2016-17 was illegal. Lt Governor Kiran Bedi had also lodged a complaint stating that merit was not followed in medical admissions after which the complaint was placed before a monitoring sub-committee formed by the MCI.
The committee found that the deemed universities had not prepared a combined merit list of students who qualified in Neet, and therefore the Supreme Court’s direction to maintain transparency and fairness in the admission process had been violated.
These universities were not ready to be part of the common counselling organised by the government formed committee, the MCI letter said.
In the case of admission to seven private medical colleges in the UT, the committee found that only a limited number of students were given admission through Centac and the others admitted on the basis of Neet without following transparency in the process. The monitoring sub-committee recommended discharge of all students who were not admitted through Centac and cancellation of all admissions made after September 30, 2016, the last date of admission. This was later approved by the MCI. “Submit compliance within two weeks, failing which necessary action will be taken on the issue,” the MCI letter said.