Karnataka: Student found with drugs, granted bail

He was arrested for possessing 3 gm MDMA and 23.54 gm of charas.
Bengaluru: The Karnataka High Court has granted bail to 26-year-old engineering student, from Kolkata, for possessing drugs as the investigations were almost over and the accused had agreed to abide by court terms. He was arrested for possessing 3 gm MDMA and 23.54 gm of charas, and been in custody for more than four months.
The student was facing offences punishable under Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, 1985 and under Information Technology Act, 2008. He had approached court seeking bail on the grounds that 3 gm MDMA was below commercial quantity of 10 gm and in case of charas up to 100gm was considered small quantity.
However, the prosecution had vehemently opposed the bail application on the ground that the petitioner being a student, was involved in purchasing of Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) for the purpose of selling. It submitted that if he was let on bail, he would not co-operate with the police in further investigation.
The court while granting bail has imposed conditions that he shall be released on bail on his executing a personal bond for a sum of ' 2 lakh with two sureties for the like-sum, to the satisfaction of the concerned court.

Download the all new Deccan Chronicle app for Android and iOS to stay up-to-date with latest headlines and news stories in politics, entertainment, sports, technology, business and much more from India and around the world.