No fee for MBBS in Uttar Pradesh, but of 10-year bond must

About 30 per cent seats – estimated 1900 students – should be reserved for this.
Lucknow: In a major development, the Akhilesh government in Uttar Pradesh is preparing to allow students to do their MBBS course without charging any fees.
In return, the students will have to fill up a bond and give an undertaking that they will work as government doctors for a period of ten years. If they violate the undertaking, the students would be required to pay a sum of Rs one crore. The government move will not only enable students from economically poor backgrounds to pursues medicine courses but will also solve the problem of shortage of doctors in government medical facilities to a large extent.
A recommendation to this effect has been made by a committee of the State Planning Commission that was set up to suggest means to improve services in the health sector.
The committee has suggested that students, who are willing to fill up the bond to serve the state government for ten years, should be allowed full exemption of fees.

Download the all new Deccan Chronicle app for Android and iOS to stay up-to-date with latest headlines and news stories in politics, entertainment, sports, technology, business and much more from India and around the world.