Chennai school students can glean info on heritage monuments

The ASI has also brought out a CD on the subject which would also be distributed for free to the students
Chennai: It will be a treasure trove for the school students keen on broadening their knowledge on the unique world heritage monuments in the country. The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI), Fort Museum, Chennai Circle, brought out a trilingual handbook on 32 world heritage sites - monuments in India to be distributed for free to the students in the state.
About 1,000 copies of the book each in English, Tamil and Hindi have been specially brought out to commemorate the Heritage Week celebrations. “We brought out the books aiming to create awareness among the young minds on the need to conserve our heritage monuments and sites. We plan to distribute the books through the state education department,” K. Moortheeswari, Deputy Superintending Archaeologist, Fort Museum, Chennai Circle, said. The senior official told this correspondent that the handbook would be useful to students in remote schools lacking computers.
The ASI has also brought out a CD on the subject which would also be distributed for free to the students. “Those keen on obtaining a copy of the book could contact our office within the Fort St. George or email us to fortmuseumchennai@gmail.com. We will dispatch the copy,” she said.
Though the Heritage Week ought to have begun on November 19, the authorities had to postpone the event on account of deluge in several parts of the city. With a let up in the situation, the officials hope to see a good number of visitors to the Fort Museum where a special exhibition was inaugurated by M. Krishnasamy, chief commissioner (Appeals) Income Tax Department, Chennai, on Wednesday. The CD on world heritage sites in India was released by V. Ganesan, conservator of forests, Chennai in the presence of Dr. K. Lourdusamy, Superintending Archaeologist, Chennai Circle.

Download the all new Deccan Chronicle app for Android and iOS to stay up-to-date with latest headlines and news stories in politics, entertainment, sports, technology, business and much more from India and around the world.