Carmel girls stump Rahul Gandhi with Swachh Bharat

MCC raises Congress leader’s hackles by endorsing PM’s initiatives

Bengaluru: “With the Modi government, I don’t see a clear direction, I hear a lot of talk. Are we serious? Is cleaning your country a strategic national government programme? Well it’s not working, is it,” asked Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi, who was interacting with the students of Mt Carmel College in the city on Wednesday.

Many of the students seemed to disagree with Mr Gandhi. After the programme, the Congress leader himself said, “It was a mixed reaction for both the Swacch Bharat and Make in India questions.

Half the auditorium said that it worked, while the other half said it did not.” Sanika Athavale, a third year commerce student from Mount Carmel who is also the member of the MCC student council, said, “His question on Make in India campaign’s workability is debatable and there was a mixed reaction to that.” But, she said, “There was a lot to learn from this session.”

Another student Priya Kumari said, “He responded to some of our questions. He was constantly targeting the ruling party.” Mr Gandhi said, “Only one man decides everything in this government. I don’t believe that only one man has the solution to India’s problems.”

Download the all new Deccan Chronicle app for Android and iOS to stay up-to-date with latest headlines and news stories in politics, entertainment, sports, technology, business and much more from India and around the world.