Discom cuts power supply to government high school

The bill and arrears have now increased to over Rs 14,000

Hyderabad: Over 500 students were put to inconvenience as the Telangana Southern Power Distribution Company cut electricity supply to the Government High School for boys and girls at Rasoolpura.

Students sat in class rooms without fans and lights. They had to strain themselves to see what was written on the black boards due to poor visibility. With power supply cut off even the toilets in the school went without water causing utter inconvenience to the students and staff.

Discom assistant engineer (Gymkhana sub-station) Raj Kumar said the school’s electricity bill has not been paid from July except for Rs 1,000 between July and November.

The bill and arrears have now increased to over Rs 14,000. “After cautioning the management that electricity will be cut if bill is not paid we cut supply on Monday," Raj Kumar said.

School Principal Ms S. Mani said the deputy education office pays the school’s electricity bill regularly but this time it got delayed. “Discom officials should understand that this is a government school having nearly 300 girls and that the education department will pay the bill even if it is delayed,” she said.

Download the all new Deccan Chronicle app for Android and iOS to stay up-to-date with latest headlines and news stories in politics, entertainment, sports, technology, business and much more from India and around the world.