Thiruvananthapuram school selected for Swiss programme

Christ Nagar Higher Secondary School among the four selected from India

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: The Christ Nagar Higher Secondary School here is one of the four schools from India for Swiss India Classroom, a cultural exchange programme between schools of India and Switzerland.

The school’s academic coordinator P. Thomas Mani, teacher Usha, bursar Fr Joseph and a group of 19 students have reached Kantonsschule Alpenquai, Luzern, a school in Switzerland.

They will be in the school till November 9. The programme was being supported by ch Foundation for Confederal Collaboration and the Mercator Foundation Switzerland, Mr Mani told Deccan Chronicle from Luzern.

“We are staying in host families, and when they come here they will stay with their partners,” he said.

The Mercator Foundation Switzerland is funding four selected Swiss-Indian school partnerships during a pilot phase in 2015-2016 academic year and will fund another five in 2016-2017.

The programme’s primary goal is to initiate, support and promote partnerships between schools of higher secondary and high school level in India and Switzerland.

Students will get acquainted with the other country's culture of working and training and develop a path to a successful partnership while overcoming cultural differences.

To achieve this goal, the students of partner schools work collectively for a year on a jointly selected project. This is carried out both in a 'virtual classroom' that is online or in social networks as well as during a visit to Switzerland by the Indian student group and a return visit to India by the Swiss group.