Finally, Rahul Gandhi to visit Karnataka on October 9, 10

He will meet kin of farmers who committed suicide
BENGALURU/Hubballi : Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi is set to embark on a whirlwind two-day visit to the state beginning October 9 to interact with various sections, including college students, farmers and top leaders of the state Congress, and set out on a nine km march to meet farmers demanding completion of Kalasa-Banduri irrigation project.
Also included in his schedule are meetings with the kin of families of farmers who committed suicide in Mandya and other districts, addressing a meetof the party’s elected representatives in recently concluded gram panchayat polls and attending KPCC’s executive office bearers’ meeting in the city.
Speaking to Deccan Chronicle, a senior leader said, “Mr Gandhi is of the strong view that the state government can not afford to ignore farmers at all. Apart from addressing farmers and tribal issues, he is likely to interact with select group of students and schoolchildren during his nine-km padayatra in Haveri.”
The leader added that Mr Gandhi was known for unscheduled stopovers for dinner or snacks and tea. During his last visit to Karnataka, he stepped out for dinner with his friends and savored sea food in a plush hotel. “None really knows where he plans to have his dinner this time,” the leader said adding Mr Gandhi could decide to meet a group of farmers who are participating in the agitation in support of Kalasa Banduri agitation or even venture into the epicenter of the agitation, Naragund or Navalgund. “Before holding a brain-storming session with leaders in Bengaluru, Mr Gandhi will meet CM Siddaramaiah and KPCC president Dr G. Parameshwar to take stock of the party position before interacting with other leaders,” the leader said adding that the focus of Mr Gandhi’s discussions with these leaders would be on strengthening the party in the state.
Debt-ridden farmers look to cong vp for succour
The family members of 51-year-old farmer Ashok Madiwalar, who committed suicide, have been living in despair as acute poverty continues to haunt them.
The proposed visit of AICC vice-president Rahul Gandhi to their house in Maidur village of Ranibennur taluk, has brought a ray of hope for them. Though the Congress leader’s padayatra and interaction with farmers on October 10 has raised optimism among the villagers, the settlement of the mounting debt burden has become a concern for the family. They are finding it hard to settle even the interest on the tractor loan with the help of compensation paid by the State government.
Rahul Gandhi will take out a 6.5-km padayatra from Maidur after visiting the kin of Ashok Madiwalar, who is one among 46 farmers who committed suicide during the past three months in Haveri district. He will interact with students of the government high school in the village and then take part in a farmers’ convention at Gudagur village and also interact with Lambani community in Channapur Tanda. “My husband committed suicide as he could not pay the loan taken to purchase a tractor nine years ago from a bank. The loan amount has increased to Rs 12 lakh from Rs 6 lakh due to higher interest rate. We have lost onion crop grown on two acres of land due to drought. The visit of Mr Gandhi to our village could be a matter of pride for our villagers as he is coming to give moral support to us. But, who will settle our loan amount, I am finding it difficult to run the family” Honnavva Madiwalar, wife of the deceased farme, said.
1,000 cases against moneylenders
Meanwhile, Minister H S Mahadev Prasad said the government has lodged more than 1,000 cases against moneylenders for harassing farmers to repay loans. He told reporters at Ranibennur that 560 moneylenders have been arrested.
Stating that the government would provide free education to the children of deceased farmers, he said that houses would be built for them under Ashraya scheme. He said a waiver of '260 crore loans taken from co-operative societies would help farmers.