No dress code for convocation: University of Hyderabad

University students belonging to the SFI conducted protests at the administrative building Monday
Hyderabad: University of Hyderabad on Monday revoked the dress code mandate for this year's convocation ceremony, following protests from a section of the students.
In a media release, it clarified, “The university always respects the personal choice of wearing the clothes and clarifies that the dress prescribed for the convocation is only indicative and suggestive.”
University students belonging to the Students Federation of India(SFI) conducted protests at the administrative building Monday, raising slogans against the change in dress code.
Deepak Kumar of SFI said, “We conducted protests for some time, after which the Joint Registrar said a circular will be issued to make clear that the dress code proposal was only indicative and suggestive.”
It was a week ago that the university advised students to do away with the gowns for convocation ceremonies as per an advisory from the Ministry of Human Resource Development, that wanted to promote use of handloom fabrics in ceremonial robes.
However, this did not find acceptance with a section of the students. Pro-CPM students were in the forefront to argue that this was part of the central government’s saffronization agenda.