IIM-V classes begin

IIM-V operates from AU till Gambheeram campus is set up

Visakhapatnam: The much-touted Indian Institute of Manageme-nt-Visakhapatnam (IIM-V) classes was formally commenced on Andhra University premises on Monday.

The Andhra Bank Scho-ol of Business in AU, from where the IIM-V wo-uld be operated until a permanent campus is built in Gambheeram of Vizag district, was renov-ated at a cost of '2 crore, providing state-of-the art facilities such as Harvard University-modelled clas-srooms, modern teaching aids, hybrid lib-rary and a swanky cafeteria.

HRD minister Ganta Srinivasa Rao, who was the chief guest at the inaugural sessions, said, “The recent World Bank report on Ease of Doing Business ranked Andhra Pradesh second in the country and we hope all the IIM-Visakhapatnam students get placements in renowned companies in AP itself.” “We provide all the facilities at the IIM-V that are conducive to learning and nurture the quest for knowledge that the students possess,” Mr Rao added.

Monday was a special day for 54 students, 50 bo-ys and four girls, of IIM-Vizag, who embarked on a new journey at one of the newly sanctioned IIMs in the country.

IIM-Bangalore director Sushil Vachani in his address explained to the students that the faculty that teach at IIM-V were drawn from the same pool of faculty of IIM-B. “You will set the tone for the expectations of the future batches and you carry the responsibility of making the institution achieve results on par with other top IIMs in the country.”

The IIM-V has been currently availing services and mentorship of experienced faculty of IIM-B, who bring a wide range of expertise to the IIM-V, which has started taking baby steps.

“We train the students to stand out of the flock by empowering them wi-th best of the class learni-ng,” said Dr Sourav Muk-herjee, Dean, program-mes at IIM-B and the nodal officer for IIM-V.

AU Vice-Chancellor G.S.N. Raju, ZP chairperson Lalam Bhavani, AU Registrar V. Umamahes-wara Rao, Pendurthi MLA B. Satyanarayana Murthy, Vizag North MLA Vishnu Kumar Ra-ju, Vice Admiral Satish Soni and others were present. After a week of orientation classes starting from Monday, the formal classes will be held from September 28.