No weightage for Inter marks for Jee Mains from next year

A Union HRD ministry committee, constituted to study the CSAB recommendation, has also reportedly suggested weightage be scrapped

Hyderabad: Students have reason to cheer as the Centre is set to scrap the 40 per cent Intermediate weightage in JEE Main from next year.

Admissions to National Institutes of Technology and other national institutions are done on the basis of the JEE Main rankings.

In the aftermath of this year’s mega goof-up, the Central Seat Allocation Board had asked the Union HRD ministry to scrap the Class XII weightage.

Many state board had not sent the Class XII/Intermediate marks of qualified students in time to the Central Board of Secondary Education, leading to huge confusion and fear among students.

“Coordinating with so many boards is difficult. It is better to have ranks based on only the JEE Main marks,” CSAB sources said. A Union HRD ministry committee, constituted to study the CSAB recommendation, has also reportedly suggested weightage be scrapped.

Students can now heave a sigh of relief considering the uncertainty after this year and the general aversion to normalisation process followed for taking the Intermediate weightage.

“If weightage is scrapped, it will be better because, in our case, they say only the second year marks will be taken. Sometimes they say both years will be taken. It leads to a lot of confusion,” I. Shashank, a second year Inter student, said.