Being a sport about it

Fifteen colleges from the city are participating in this ongoing sports event
Whether it is roping in celebrity musicians to amp it up, paving way for fashion shows or throwing in a food gala or craft mela to the mix, city colleges have been on top of their game when it comes to living it up at college fests. Now, reviving the sports culture, 15 colleges across Bengaluru are all set to come together to play for the Origins Cup until September 12. This tournament aims at providing a platform for students across our city to not just rise in the field but to develop a sporting camaraderie!
In its third edition, this sports fair includes the classics — everything from cricket, football and basketball to volleyball, chess, table tennis and badminton. It’s not just for students, but by them as well. “It’s a great initiative taken by them. At the college, we look at holistic development of the students and not just one that is pedagogical,” says Vikram Sampath, the director of Symbiosis School of Media and Communication, the hosts of the fest. Channeling their time and energy in the right way, 15 colleges across the city including St Francis College, Azim Premji University, Wellingkar and Christ University are all set to be at loggerheads for the title.
“This is a welcome change, seeing that we usually play in our own college. It’s a good feeling to play against different colleges and be a part of varied teams. It’s actually the first time we are participating in an intercollegiate fest, so it’s going to be great to meet new people,” says Shahul, a student of MA Development at the Azim Premji University. While the fest is a good way to socialise for some, for others it is the sheer scale of the fest fuelled by endless sponsors that is kicking up some serious adrenaline. “Compared to last year’s event, this one is far grander and more exciting as it ropes in more people. As a badminton player, I’m looking forward to competing against other colleges. It’s a great way to know where you stand,” says Vignesh Venugopal, another participating student.
At this sports extravaganza, the cup is not just an object to be won, but is symbolic of the many traits that we hope is fostered in today’s youth. For instance, discipline and sports go hand in hand, “And we are ensuring that there is no compromise on day-to-day classroom decorum, with students taking part in the sporting events after college hours. With a good mix of academia and extra-curricular activities, who says they don’t go hand in hand?” says Sunil B, the deputy director of the hosts. With valuable principles like team work, time management and healthy competition being heralded Vikram says, “May the spirit of sportsmanship win, regardless of which team wins or loses.”