Youth scams test to stay in the hostel

Hostels of OU are inhabited by unemployed youth
Hyderabad: It is known that hostels of OU are inhabited by unemployed youth who are no longer students of the varsity. But the recent EdCet impersonation scam has shown that many are ready to indulge in criminal acts to continue staying in the hostels.
This year’s EdCet second ranker, who secured the position by impersonation, did so because he wanted to continue in the hostels.
Crime branch police investigating the case informed that Maliga Linga Swamy and his accomplice Battu Srihari Naik were working for the Telangana Vidya Parishad and were desperate to continue living in the OU hostel. A notification of the TS EdCet 2015 gave Swamy the idea of securing a seat so that he could legitimately live on the campus. But he needed an alibi.
Swamy then asked Srihari Naik to find a meritorious student who could write the exam on his behalf. Swamy, Naik and another Ramana Reddy found a student Shobhan who agreed to appear on Swamy’s behalf.
“In pursuance of their plan, he along with Ramana Reddy uploaded the TS Ed.CET-2015 online application of Swamy with the photograph of Shoban. Later, Ramana Reddy downloaded the hall-ticket of Swamy and both took Shoban to appear for the exam,” said T. Prabhakar, JC, Central Crime Station, Hyderabad City police. To his misfortune, Shoban wrote the exam so well that he secured the 2nd rank. Police said they are making efforts to arrest the remaining culprits.