Chennai: Survey reveals 44 per cent college students watch violent porn every week

The survey was conducted by an NGO for social issues, Rescue Foundation

Rescue Foundation, a non-governmental organisation (NGO) for social issues, recently conducted a survey, in 100 schools and colleges in Chennai, among 300 students. The survey was aimed to assess the magnitude of porn addiction among students; the data revealed distressing statistics.

According to the survey, three lakh students, between the age of 16 and 21, watch rape porn each day. Out of the 300 students that were surveyed, starting at the age of 13, 75 per cent students watched porn every week. Around 44 per cent of college students watched an average of 18 videos of violent porn, rape and gang rape every week. Horrifyingly, the survey also showed that almost 62 per cent of the students, who watched rape porn actually, desired to copy it in real life.

In an interview with a newspaper, the CEO of Rescue Foundation, Abhishek Clifford said, “We can no longer deny the link between youngsters watching rape and porn videos and the ever-increasing figures of violent rape and abuse in India… Even if 10 per cent of them act on this desire, we still end up producing 1,300 rapists each year.”

In order to grapple with the situation, members of the NGO put forward a few suggestions. They recommended that cyber ethics should be compulsorily taught to college students; pornographic content should be regulated in cyber cafes; parents need to be educated on how they could deal with their children in terms of pornography.