University of Hyderabad students protest cops warning students

The university witnessed protests on Monday by teachers and students

Hyderabad: The faculty and the students of the University of Hyderabad are displeased by the varsity’s attitude over two separate matters.

The university witnessed protests on Monday by teachers and students. Teachers raised the issue of the violation of privacy in the house of a faculty member, Dr Gracious Temsen. Students, meanwhile, protested the university’s silence over Cyberabad police distributing pamphlets in the university after a freshers meet, informing students what sort of comments should not be posted on social media and the IPC sections they might invite.

The university administration said it will issue its reply on both issues on Tuesday. On Monday, nearly 100 faculty members gathered at the Vice Chancellor’s office to raise demands regarding the issue of Dr Temsen. However, discussions were not fruitful.

A release by the University of Hyderabad Teachers’ Association said, “The V-C refused to speak to any of us, or comment on the issue and on the demands raised by the UHTA”.

Students demanded that the V-C write to the Centre against setting up a police station on the varsity campus. They also demanded that the varsity should issue a circular saying the fiat issued by the police hold no significance.