Private universities in Andhra Pradesh shortly

Academicians skeptical over the impact of the Bill on education

Vijayawada: The Private Universities Bill, which is likely to be tabled in the coming Assembly session is being seen as an experiment by academicians since it may impact the higher education system in the state in the coming years.

Approval of the Bill will lead to an Act that will enable societies and trusts to set up their own state-level universities and issue graduation certificates according to University Grants Commission guidelines. So far in South India, only Karnataka allows private universities.

Meanwhile, 22 North Indian states have 207 private universities. AP will be the second state in South India to permit private universities which are solely run by societies or trusts under non-profit basis.

This will allow any section of people to start a university if they have enough resources to run the institute as per UGC standards. Lack of quality higher education in AP is forcing thousands of students to make a beeline to premier institutions and deemed universities in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and other neighbouring states.

A leading deemed university in Tamil Nadu alone admits thousands of students from AP and TS every year. The establishment of private universities with better standards than that available in private and government colleges will benefit students who are able to spend money on quality education.

Private universities may not be of much help for students from poorer backgrounds as most of them take seats in state colleges and avail fee reimbursement schemes. It may be noted that the existing seats in Engineering colleges of the state are not even filled completely since the past several years.