CET incident: Another jeep seized, yet to nab culprits

The students used two open jeeps and a lorry without the permission of the authorities on the campus
Thiruvananthapuram: The police on Saturday seized a second jeep that was used during the Onam celebrations at the College of Engineering, Thiruvananthapuram, resulting in the death of a student, Thesni Basheer, on Thursday.
The jeep, with registration number KCT 2217, was found abandoned near Sreekaryam and its battery was missing. The vehicle is registered in the name of Sachin at Muvattupuzha RTO office.
It was alleged that the vehicle used by the hostellers of CET was regularly seen in some CPM functions.
The students used two open jeeps and a lorry without the permission of the authorities on the campus.
The police had earlier seized the jeep involved in the accident. Though 15 students were booked, no arrests have been made yet.
The accused students are reportedly hiding in Thiruvananthapuram itself.
Meanwhile, Basheer Kunnathu, father of Thesni, said that the culprits had not been arrested so far due to government apathy.
The incident was unbecoming of a college, he said and added that none else should meet with his daughter’s fate.
Meanwhile, KSU and MSF criticised the home department for the delay in arresting the accused. KSU state president V.S. Joy said the case should be investigated by an official of IG rank.
MSF state president P.P. Ashraf Ali alleged that the accused had fled to Tamil Nadu with the help of a section of the CPM. Meanwhile, SFI state secretary M. Vijin said that his organisation was being made a scapegoat for political gains.