Group of 70 persons went on a rampage in Pondicherry University

Group members allegedly barged into the labs, smashing the equipment and destroying students’ research papers
Chennai: A group of around 70 persons went on a rampage in Pondicherry University, destroying lab equipment worth lakhs of rupees and beating up professors and students. After the new Vice Chancellor was appointed last evening, this morning at 11:30, the group entered
The Chemistry lab then continuing into the Physics and the Earth Science lab. The group members allegedly barged into the labs, smashing the equipment and destroying students’ research papers and thesis.
Some work was also believed to be in the final stages of completion. Some faculty and students believe that the group members were supporters of the former vice chancellor, who was recently asked by the MHRD “to go on leave”.
According to a staff member, the group was particularly targeting the main people who spearheaded the protests against the previous vice chancellor.
However, the former VC’s PRO has stated that she is not even in station and has nothing to do with the vandalism.
The group later escaped. The police were continuing to search for them. When the rampage started, the faculty spoke to police but allegedly due to delayed action the faculty contacted the BJP president of Puducherry who was in Goa who then spoke to education secretary Rakesh Chandra.
Only after Chandra got in touch with the senior superintendent of police, the personnel went to the spot. Present Vice Chancellor, Anisa Begam Khan has asked the faculty and students to collect enough evidence, so that they can file a police complaint on Wednesday.
The university is also going to produce CCTV footage to police to identify the culprits. The police have stated that they will continue to stay on campus till they arrest the group.