Students denied entry into Madras University

Demand for reinstatement of prof grows louder
Chennai: Students of the political science department of Madras University were not allowed to enter the premises on Tuesday even as their agitation demanding reinstatement of R. Manivannan as the department head entered the second day.
The protestors said they entered the premises forcibly when the gates were opened for other department students.
C. Rajkumar, a student, said they continued their protest on Monday till late night. Suddenly, the lights in front of the main building where they were protesting were switched off and police came beat the students.
Further, students protested in front of the registrar's office. Registrar P. David Jawahar has reportedly told them that since G. Koteswara Prasad, the new head of the department, had not completed his term four years back when he held the post, Manivannan was temporarily appointed to the post. They had every right to remove him from the post, as his position was not permanent. Currently the new HoD will function and the administration can't reinstate
Manivannan.
Students feel that the registrar has given them a baseless reason. An M.Phil student, T.Karmugil, said when they asked the registrar the reason for bringing in police, the registrar said the administration was afraid of students.
Not only students, the media was also prohibited from entering the main building campus. In a strongly worded statement, a number of Chennaites under the umbrella of Vettiver Collective, have condemned Madras University's decision.