MU students stage protest to remove vice-chancellor

The students started protesting from 2 pm
Chennai: Nearly 100 students from various departments of Madras University staged a protest on Monday demanding the removal of the vice chancellor and to reinstate R. Manivannan as head of the political science and public administration department. Manivannan was removed from the post last week.
The students started protesting from 2 pm and they plan to continue it till Manivannan is given back the post. Their demands include removal of the vice chancellor and establishment of an enquiry committee to discuss the “corrupt acts” of the university.
Questions were also raised on the reason for removing the professor, with some suggesting that it was “revenge” since he supported prohibition.
Sunil Kumar, a participants in the anti-liquor protest, said “We approached the administration requesting permission to stage a protest in favour of prohibition. But they denied so we started the protest. The professor was in no way involved in the protest and neither did he ask us to stage it,” he said.
Some students feel that he has been the soft target for anything going on in the university. “As he raises his voice against injustice and corruption so obviously he can’t be in the good books of these corrupt people,” they said.
Students said as it was futile to go to the administration and request them anything. So they resorted to protest which would continue until their demands were accepted. When registrar P. David Jawahar was approached, his secretary said the official was busy discussing this issue and was not available for comment.