Madras University HoD removed for not penalising students

Nothing but harassment: Madras varsity prof
Chennai: Professor Ramu Manivannan, who was removed last week as the head of the department of politics and public administration of Madras University without any explanation, said the vice chancellor wanted to portray him as “anti-national” in the eyes of the students. Professor Manivannan was removed for not taking action against students demanding prohibition in the state.
On August 3, students conducted a protest in favour of prohibition in front of the centenary building in the university. On August 5, the college administration sent a letter to the professor referring the names of some of the protesting students and asking for the contact numbers of their families.
“I did not send their numbers. I refused to take action against them,” said professor Manivannan. On August 5 the letter demoting him was sent to his office. He was on leave and came to know about the letter only next day. Disappointed with the administration, the professor said that he was not shocked after he received the letter but termed it harassment. “I did not mobilize or ask the students to sit and protest. Though I feel students have equal right to protest. They should have explained before removing me from the post,” he said.
M. Joseph, a student, said that he was really disappointed with the removal. “Immediately we don’t want to protest because technically we can’t protest. But it will spark a protest soon as management is testing our patience,” he said.
The professor recalled that for all protests, be it drinking water issue or Sri Lankan issue, the management would hold him responsible for instigating students. He never feared to raise his voice against any injustice.
Further, in a recent Syndicate meeting, 27 charges were slapped against him. The charges include harassment of colleagues, lack of transparency, law and order disruption, inciting students for protests like water issue, Sri Lankan issue for Tamil rights and disobedience. “ I am really exhausted with the management. Instead of cooperation they just keep on interfering in my work. They don’t understand that since we feel for the cause and stage a protest,” the professor said. Repeated attempts were made to contact vice chancellor R. Thandavan failed.