Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad disappoints again

Industry specific training to engineering students failed to take off

Hyderabad: With the admission season coming to a close, the placement season is drawing near. But engineering students looking to arm themselves with industry courses are in for a disappointment as the initiative to impart industry specific training to engineering students has failed to get off the ground.

IT body Nasscom, Telangana Academy for Skill and Knowledge and the JNTU Hyderabad had agreed in February this year to prepare ‘Quali-fication Packs’ and incorporate them into the engineering curriculum so students are theoretically industry ready during placements.

These course modules, in Big Data, Cyber Security and Des-ign Engineering, would have to be added to the final year engineering curriculum of the JNTU-H either by replacing a subject or as an elective.

The initiative was mooted by Chief Minister K. Chandrasekhar Rao, during a meeting with Nasscom representatives.

But while Nasscom has prepared the syllabus and materials for the courses modules, according to industry requirements, it will still remain out of reach because the JNTU-H has not incorporated them in the engineering curriculum.

This means they can only be added to the course curriculum next year which will be beneficial to students passing out from 2017 only.

Nasscom has prepared and given the module material but because of JNTU being preoccupied with multiple court cases over the disaffiliation of engineering colleges, it has not been added to the curriculum this year. It can only be done next year, TASK sources said.

Under the agreement, Nasscom was to provide the course material, TASK would train faculty to teach the subjects if it was a regular course subject or depute faculty to teach them if it was an elective subject. About 138 private engineering colleges have so far registered with TASK.