Chennai: Law students stage road roko

The students also demanded that college authorities should meet them immediately
Chennai: More than 50 students who stay in the Dr Ambedkar Government Law College hostel in the city staged a road roko in front of their hostel in Kilpauk on Friday alleging that the hostel lacks hygiene and proper infrast-ructure.
Students said the ho-stel lacks basic amenities and the hostel mess serves substandard food, besides being unhygienic. "Even though we have informed authorities about all these issues on several occasions nothing concrete has happened. Adding to our woes, rainwater still stagnates in our hostel making it difficult for us to reside there," one of the protesting students said.
The students also demanded that college authorities should meet them immediately and take steps to solve their issues, based on which the college principal held talks with the students.
Later in the day, minister for municipal administration, rural development and law S.P. Velumani and health minister Dr C. Vijaya Baskar met the students who have been admitted at Kilpauk Medical college hospital and enquired about their health. Students were taken ill on Thursday after they consumed water from the hostel water tank.
The ministers also interacted with students at the hostel and ordered Corporation officials to clean the hostel premises, pump out water from the water tank and provide all amenities.