Tech students get more time for payment of fees

The extension of fee payment deadline till Tuesday would allow another 5,000 students to pay the fees and reserve seats

Hyderabad: About 35,000 engineering seats are expected to be left vacant prior to the commencement of the second round of TS Eamcet counselling from Wednesday.

The paucity of time after the first round meant that by Monday only about 41,000 students had paid their admission fees and reserved the seats allotted to them.

Officials said the extension of the deadline till Tuesday would allow another 5,000 students to pay the fee and reserve seats.

Telangana State Council of Higher Education had introduced the self-reporting system allowing students to accept allotted seats online instead of reporting at the allotted college.

Effectively, parents were given only about one-and-a-half days to pay the fee at the State Bank of Hyderabad.

Mr B. Srinivas, camp officer, TS Eamcet, told this newspaper: ?We don?t have the exact figures yet because the bank receipts will be received only by Wednesday. But we think about 38,000 seats will be left vacant at the end of first round allotments.?

About 5,000 students have decided not to accept the allotted seats. But they can still participate in the second phase counselling.

Out of these, nearly 3,000 seats are in pharmacy colleges which means 35,000 engineering seats will be left vacant.

It is not yet known how many more will be added to this number, considering the AICTE-JNTU inspections. It is learnt the joint AICTE-JNTU committees have finalised their reports, as ordered by the High Court.