Teacher relocation plan goes awry in Telangana

Few schools have more teachers than students, while rest suffer

Hyderabad: The relocation of teachers according to the new staffing pattern introduced by the Telangana government has left state-run schools in chaos.

Though the government is stressing on quality education, the situation is disastrous even in Chief Minister K. Chandrasekhar Rao’s constituency Gajwel.

The TS government has finally completed the process of revising staffing of teachers in government schools and the results are appalling.

There are schools wit-hout any students to which teachers have been allotted. There are schools with good enrollments but there are no teachers to take classes.

For instance, in Mr Chandrasekhar Rao’s constituency Gajwel, the Koluguru High School has 211 students who have to make do with seven primary teachers.

A high school in Bandla Venkatapur has no high school teachers though there are a good number of students.

The situation is similar in other districts of the state as well. In Nalgonda district, for instance, a girls’ high school has eight students but it has been allotted nine teachers. Another school in Mahbubnagar has no students but four teachers have been posted there.

“It is not as if there is a shortage of qualified teachers. The government has messed up the entire procedure. It didn’t attempt to find out where there is a need for teachers and where there isn’t. It never tried to understand its own rules,” Progressive Recognised Teachers’ Union, general secretary, P. Sarvotham Reddy said. Teachers point out the need for a rejig in the process again considering it has been messed up. “We have to evaluate the situation and see what can be done,” sources in the TS education ministry said.