Colleges fail to give details on sites

The VC’s direction came followed by a letter from UGC Secretary Dr Jaspal S Sandhu on July 2 to varsities and colleges

KOZHIKODE: The University Grants Commission has recently directed all Universities and Colleges to display all the details regarding the admission process, courses, seats, academic calendar etc on their official websites in order to benefit the students and their parents seeking admission in these institutions.

Though Calicut University Vice Chancellor in an order on July 7 directed all the affiliated colleges to implement the same within 15 days, many are yet to comply with the direction from the UGC and the VC.

The VC’s direction came followed by a letter from UGC Secretary Dr Jaspal S Sandhu on July 2 to varsities and colleges.

The letter says the institutions should display the details on admission procedures, availability of seats, profile of teachers faculty-wise, academic calendar and activities, student centric facilities, placement profiles of pass-outs, relevant approvals from statutory bodies, students' grievance mechanisms, accreditation, scholarships etc.

“We have told Colleges clearly to furnish details on their websites as early as possible. Many have already done that,” said College Development Council head Dr Santhosh Nampy. University Register Dr Abdul Majeed said that a reminder would be sent to those institutions which have not complied. “We are facing certain technical difficulties to update the website. We will soon be rectifying it,” says Devagiri St Joseph’s College Principal Dr Sibichen M Thomas.

Association of Calicut University Teachers (ACT) General Secretary Dr P Sivadasan opined that updating the websites of institutions with relevant details was important especially in case of self-financing institutions.

“Many such institutions lack teachers with proper qualifications. If they are forced to upload details of faculty members, students and parents can easily assess the standard of institutions,” he added.